Meet the Vanguard Audio V4 FET
The Vanguard V4 is a large-diaphragm multi-pattern FET condenser microphone. Lovingly crafted
by experts over 2 years, it is designed to be a versatile, reliable, professional recording tool that
breaks the usual “bang-for-your-buck” curve. With our acclaimed edge-terminated ultra-thin custom-
voiced capsule, a pad/roll-off option, primo cryogenically-treated componentry, and the best
shock mount in all the land, the V4 is made to be your go-to workhorse microphone at a price that
won’t break your piggy bank.
The new V4 gen2 3-Pattern FET mic is truly a “giant killer” …easily winning favor over
much-lauded mics in any listening comparison. As with ALL of the gen2 releases, the
sonic performance has been given a significant improvement.
- The new stainless steel body was given a size increase to allow for the larger, beefier, audiophile-grade components to fit onto the newly designed PCB.
- The beautiful pinot noir Vanguard finish we’re known for is even more luxurious now…..totally sleek!
- We have enhanced the capsule cradle/saddle assembly, making the V4 nearly impervious to sudden knocks and shocks.
- Vanguard has upgraded a number of key signal-path components to audiophile-grade, and sourced them from USA makers in the process!
- The component and circuit improvements have lowered the self-noise of the V4 gen 2 making it one of the quietest mics ever made.
Vanguard Audio V4 FET in one take
Capsule and Electronics
- Custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with 3µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 3 selectable polar patterns – Cardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- -10dB/100Hz Rolloff
- Electronically-balanced solid-state circuitry loaded with premium-grade components
- Ultra-low-noise JFET design
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal and power path components
- Heavy-duty brass, aluminum, steel, and zinc construction
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and “open-air” voicing
- Each V4 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Final Assembly and 100% Quality Control in California, USA
- 5-Year Warranty
- VLSM Large Shockmount
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Storage Box
- Aluminum Carrying Case
We designed V4 with certain characteristics of classic FET microphones in mind, while also utilizing
modern technology & design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals. Our ultra-thin
3µm edge-terminated capsule diaphragms are extraordinarily sensitive, ensuring that every nuance
and detail of the performance is faithfully captured.
We heard from a number of Vanguard V44S users that they loved the clean and full character of the
V44S so much as an alternative to their V13 and V1 microphones, they wanted a small “mono”
version of the V44S for travel purposes. The signal and power paths of the V4 is identical to a single
channel of the V44S, but because we had space for an extra PCB and switch, we couldn’t resist
adding a simple pad/rolloff combo switch to the rear, as well as spacing the power conversion circuit
as far as possible from the signal path.
After hundreds of hours of listening with world-class engineers in environments ranging from fully-
equipped major studios to bootstrapped home setups, we can confidently say that this microphone
will vastly exceed the performance of other microphones in its price range, and rival the performance
of microphones costing several times more.
The VANGUARD V4 is very different from other microphones in its price range. It is designed and
precision-built in limited quantities to “no-compromise” standards, with final assembly and 100%
testing taking place here in Southern California. We feel that the sensitive nature of microphones
requires a high-standards, no-holds-barred test battery to ensure that we’d be proud to use EVERY
microphone that leaves our shop on our own records.
We started with an extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule
assembly and custom-voice it with a proprietary hand-tuning process. The capsule is mounted in an
open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections.
We then designed a transformerless solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of
our capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers
around the world, including Germany, Japan, and the USA. We deep-cycle cryogenically treat critical
components in the signal & power paths, including an ultra-high-grade FET that is many times more
expensive than the standard transistor you’ll find in most sub-$500 microphones. As one of the most
critical components in the signal path, we tested several premium-grade transistors before choosing
this particular model, and the results are significant & audible improvements in audio quality,
headroom, distortion, and noise floor vs. standard-grade JFET transistors.
Aesthetically, the precision-machined brass body is coated with our signature Pinot Noir, finished
with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard
badge. Your V4’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
The V4 was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of experience and vetted by
award-winning engineers and producers.
The V4 was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. We
perform 100% quality control – every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of
stringent audio and visual tests here in Southern California before being hand-packed.
Every part of the V4 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were
over-spec’d. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical
electronic components. Brass, steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction.
Every Vanguard microphone is backed by our FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY.
We run every one of our microphones through a series of tests to ensure that they meet our
standards, and we strongly feel that any pair of V4s will match each other close enough for any
critical recording applications. However, we also understand the level of detail and fastidiousness
that we audio engineers hold ourselves to. At your request to your dealer, we can provide matched
pairs of the V4 +/- 1.5dB at no additional cost.
When you buy a V4, you also get a VLSM Heavy-Duty Shockmount. We wanted to rethink the
standard “spider-style” shockmount of old, and designed the VLSM with a few nifty features. First is
the open front, which allows you to position the microphone as close to the source as necessary.
Second, we install aerospace-grade suspension rings that won’t break, sag, crack, or stretch over
time. This shockmount was designed to fit any microphone with M22x1 threading, so you also can
use it with a number of microphones from other manufacturers.
When not in use, your V4 should be stored in its padded pinewood box.
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
- Electronics Type: Solid-state, electronically-balanced output
Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: appx. 135dB (145dB w/ Pad)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Equivalent Noise Level: 14dBA (A-weighted)
- Output Connector: Male XLR 5-pin, gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch: 120Hz (either/or with pad)
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: -10dB (either/or with rolloff)
Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): 0.83 lbs / 0.38 kg
- Weight (in case): 5.63 lbs / 2.56 kg
- Dimensions (microphone): 7.25″ long, 1.8″ diameter / 184mm long, 46mm diameter
- Dimensions (case): 12″L x 11″W x 5.75″H / 305mmL x 280mmW x 146mmH
- Voltage Requirement: Phantom Power (+48V ideal)