The Universal Audio Twin-Finity is a hybrid preamp the combines classic tube warmth with the clarity and fast transient response of solid state with continuously variable tone blending
The award-winning 710 Twin-Finity is a hybrid preamp combining the classic saturation of Universal Audio’s tube designs with the clean, clear transient performance of solid state circuitry. While it may appear to be a radical departure from UA’s traditional preamp designs, their expertise in both tube and solid state design resulted in two audio legends, the 610 all-tube preamp, and the 1176 FET solid-state compressor. The goal of the 710 Twin-Finity’s design is to provide the tonal versatility and sonic X-factor missing on generic audio interface preamps. The tone blending capability of the 710 is continually variable between 100% tube and 100% solid-state, offering an exhaustive, near-infinite range of preamp tones, including the ability to find your own unique, signature sound. In a sea of budget-priced, “me-too” solid-state and tube preamplifiers, the Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity is the only one that offers the best of both worlds—not to mention those as yet unexplored —in a single box, priced within reach of any serious project studio’s budget.
Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity in one take:
- Dual-Path 310 volt, class-A tube and transimpedance solid-state preamp
- Phase-aligned tone-blending of tube and solid state circuitry
- Dual Gain Stages: “Straight wire with gain” to creamy to crunchy
- Discrete JFET instrument input with 2.2M ohm ultra-Hi-Z
Transimpedance, key to the 710 sound, and phase-aligned tone blending
The key to the 710 Twin-Finity’s sonic flexibility rests in its innovative circuit design. The 710’s solid-state transimpedance input amp simultaneously drives separate, phase-aligned tube and solid-state gain stages, which are then summed to a single output. The mix between the 310 volt single-ended class-A triode tube stage and solid-state transimpedance stage is controlled via the blend Knob, which is continually variable between 100% tube and 100% solid-state.
Dual Gain Stages
A design feature common to all UA designs is the dual gain-stage controls (Gain/Level), which can radically vary the amount of coloration and distortion. It functions much like a guitar amp, allowing you to crank up the input gain to increase saturation. The 710’s VU meter features a unique Drive mode that enables you to see how hard you’re driving the input stage.
Discrete, ultra Hi-Z instrument input
The 2.2M ohm impedance of the discrete JFET DI input circuit enables it to easly handle any electric instrument without loading low-output vintage pickups. Guitarists and bassist will especially appreciate the 710’s ability to bring out the best of both active and passive pickups. As an added plus for convenience, the 710 Twin-Finity includes a 19″rack-kit for mounting one or two units.
Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity full feature list:
- Twin-Finity Tone-Blending Mic/Line Preamp and Hi-Z Instrument DI
- Dual-Path 310-volt class-A tube and transimpedance solid-state preamp
- Phase-aligned tube and solid state tone blending
- Dual Gain Stages: “Straight wire with gain” to creamy to crunchy Discrete JFET DI with 2.2M ohm ultra-high impedance
- Monolithic balanced output stage
- 70dB+ gain, +48V Phantom, -15dB pad), phase invert, and low cut filter (75Hz)
- Output and “Drive” backlit VU metering
- Portable, rack-mountable design for studio, desktop or stage
- 19″ rack kit included
- Front-panel Hi-Z Input (switched from mic/line automatically via jack-detect)
- Rear-panel XLR mic input, XLR line input and XLR line output
- Universal internal power supply
- Heavy-duty metal construction
Its sonic versatility makes the UA 710 Twin-Finity an excellent partner for any mic collection. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro sales consultant today.