Rupert Neve Designs RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier
The Rupert Neve Designs RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier is a dedicated high-headroom, high-powered design with three selectable input types and extremely detailed sound quality
The Rupert Neve Designs RNHP headphone amp displays the depth of thought that goes into everything Neve, which in this case is unconscious adaptation. This refers to a performer unconsciously adapting to their surroundings, which in the case of most recording scenarios, is headphone monitoring that disconnects the performer from the music. Great performances come from a deep connection to the music, which means that the recording process needs to be invisible, and monitoring needs to uplift the artist, not force them to cope. Enter the Rupert Neve Designs RNHP precision headphone amp. Whether its tracking, mixing, or pure listening enjoyment, your headphone amplifier is as vital to sound quality as your headphones, yet headphone amps with compromised sonics, headroom, and power abound in the world. To remove these shortcomings, Mr. Rupert Neve and his team at Rupert Neve Designs have developed the RNHP, equally at home in the professional or project studio.
Rupert Neve Designs RNHP Precision Headphone Amp in one take:
- Open and extremely detailed sound quality allows you to get the most out of your headphones
- High-power, high-headroom design can effortlessly drive high-impedance (up to 600 Ohm) headphones even during the loudest, most dynamic tracking sessions
- The near-zero output impedance (.01 Ohm at 1kHz), direct-coupled amplifier design provides for excellent translation with any pair of headphones
- The highly damped stereo potentiometer is designed to give you precise level control and maintain perfect left-right balance
- The calibrated +4dBu line input is selected with the “A” switch. The combo jack accepts either XLR or TRS inputs for balanced professional devices
- The unbalanced RCA input is calibrated for -10dBV signals and is selected with the “B” switch. The RCA jack is commonly used with home stereo devices or Prosumer equipment
- Stereo 3.5mm input specifically calibrated to work with mobile devices like phones, computers and digital cameras
- The VESA 100 compatible mount enables you to mount the RNHP wherever it needs to be. Common mounts are pole-mount arm for mic stands, pivoting multi-arm desk mount, and wall / surface mount for securing upside-down under a table, music stand or other studio furniture
- The RNHP’s rugged, solid-steel chassis is built to a high industrial standard with an overhang to protect the connectors and main level control from glancing blows, as well as shock-absorbing rubberized feet
- The RNHP can be powered using either the included 6-watt power supply or a 24V, 0.25A min battery (not sold by RND)
INSIDE THE BOX—Rupert Neve Designs RNHP
High-power, high-headroom design
Based on the headphone output circuit in the RND 5060 Centerpiece Desktop Mixer, the RNHP is a dedicated 24V reference-quality headphone amplifier with specifically-calibrated +4dBu balanced line, unbalanced RCA and 1/8″ (3.5mm) inputs, housed in a rugged VESA-mountable steel chassis.
Dedicated vs. Integrated Amplifiers
For much equipment, the headphone output is an afterthought. Most audio interfaces with integrated headphone amps are rife with tradeoffs, due to compromise between large feature sets and relatively low price points pacjed into a small footprint. This leads to comprised power and audio quality of the headphone amplifier itself, which can lead to a number of issues in real world usage such as low headroom, unreliable performance, and a lack of focus.
As a dedicated design, the RNHP was made to accomplish one simple purpose: making any headphones sound their best. The RNHP is tailored to deliver extremely high quality, powerful amplification, with precise calibration for any source input. This exceptional level of quality can inspire an artist to give their best performance, let an engineer make better choices in mic and placement, give a mix engineer reliable translation of EQ and dynamics adjustments, or at its most basic, give a listener the full depth and detail of a recording.
Specially-calibrated inputs for versatile connectivity
In addition to being able to drive a wide variety of headphones without sacrificing performance, the RNHP is also capable of receiving a wide array of signals with its 3 inputs, calibrated for optimum level and impedance.
Here are some common device examples:
Input A: +4dBu Line (XLR or TRS) Devices
- Studio Audio Interfaces (Line or Monitor Out)
- Headphone Mixers (Line Output or HP Out)
- Mixing Consoles (Line, Aux or Monitor Out)
- Professional Turntable Mixers (Line or Monitor)
- Professional Stereo Digital to Analogue Converter
- Professional Cameras
- Studio Monitor Controllers
Input B: RCA Devices
- CD / DVD Players
- Stereo Tuners
- Pre-amplified Turntables
- Prosumer Recording Devices / Cameras
Input C: 3.5mm (1/8″) Stereo Devices
- Mobile Phones
- Portable Music Players
- DSLR Cameras
- Handheld Recording Devices
- Any 1/8″ (3.5mm) headphone output
The RNHP is designed for mounting with any VESA 100 compatible mount. These may include pole mounts, wall mounts, table mounts, or articulating arm mounts. These mounts can help to ensure the RNHP is always in the perfect position.
In some situations where you only have one set of outputs but need to simultaneously feed the RNHP and another device such as speakers, a second headphone amplifier, or a 2-track recorder, RND recommends using splitter cables from the Left and Right line outputs to feed both devices from the same stereo pair.
OUTSIDE THE BOX—Rupert Neve Designs RNHD
Housed in a rugged steel chassis with an industrial-grade powder coating, the RNHP has a 1/4″ headphone jack, three backlit LED input select buttons, and volume control. The rear panel has two XLR/TRS combo jacks for +4dBu signals, unbalanced RCA L/R input jacks, 1/8″ (3.5mm) input for signals from mobile devices, power switch, and 25VDC, 0.25A power supply connector.
With superior sonic performance and the ability to drive any pair of headphones no trade-off in sound quality, the RNHP allows you to perform, mix, and enjoy your music with a new level of clarity. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Rupert Neve Designs RNHP specifications
Maximum Input Levels
- “A” XLR I/P: +22.8 dBu @1kHz
- “B” RCA I/P: +14.7dBu @1kHz
- “C” 3.5mm I/P: +3.3dBu @1kHz
(As measured with typical headphones, Z=44 Ω: 3.617 VAC RMS @1kHz = 300mW RMS)
- 16 ohm typical Load: 1.933 VAC RMS @1kHz = 230mW RMS
- 150 ohm typical Load: 5.108 VAC RMS @1kHz = 175mW RMS
- .08 ohm @ 1kHz, 16-150 ohm load, 0dBu input
- +/- .2dB from 10Hz to 120KHz
Noise (Measured with typical headphones, Z=44 ohm, BW 22Hz – 22kHz)
- “A” XLR Input: -101.9dBV
- “B” RCA Input: -100.9dBV
- “C” 3.5mm Input: -88.8dBV
Dimensions (W x D x H)
- 6-1/2″ x 4-19/32″ x 1-29/32″
Power Supply Requirements
- 24VDC @ 0.25Amp (6 watt) minimum. Use with supplied power adapter, as this has been carefully selected for best output power and noise performance. May be used with a properly configured 24V battery as well