The Earthworks DK25/L DrumKit is a dedicated, live sound drum miking kit comprising three SR25 cardioid condensers and KP1 KickPad inline EQ for optimizing kick drum sound
In live settings, from concert hall to television stage, a minimalist approach to drum miking has several advantages: faster setup times, better sight lines for cameras, less obstacles for talent to trip over and mess up your sound, and of course, a more cohesive, phase-coherent drum sound that’s easier to mix in context. Similar to the DK25/R in concept, what differentiates the DK25L is its three SR25 cardioid condensers; two for overheads and one for kick drum to be used in conjunction with the KP1 KickPad. For live sound, the cardioid pattern is a better choice than the omnidirectional pattern of the TC25s found in the DK25/R recording kit. The patented, near-perfect cardioid pattern of the SR25 provides a uniform off-axis response with an exceptional 32dB rear rejection, providing more gain before feedback. The Earthworks DK25/L offers FOH engineers simple means to achieve a detailed, high-quality sound suitable for use at the highest levels of live performance.
Earthworks DK25/L DrumKit in one take:
- Drum microphones for live sound and recording
- Includes 3 SR25 microphones (two for overheads and one for kick drum), 1 KP1 KickPad, 3 microphone clips, 3 windscreens, and rugged carrying case
- Handles up to 145dB SPL without distortion
- Improved impulse response for faster and more accurate transients
- Shorter diaphragm settling time to prevent quieter attacks from being blurred by earlier loud attacks
- Extended frequency response to 25kHz to capture a crisper and more realistic image
- Near perfect polar patterns that remain even across all frequencies and at any position within the pattern
- More cohesive and unified drum sound
- Hear more attack and subtle detail
- Increased detail and dynamic range
- Versatile, multi-use mics
- Mics are protected in a high impact case
- Ideal three-mic choice for live performance or recording in less than ideal acoustic environments
- Fast setup and tear-down
- The patented cardioid pattern on the SR25 provides a more uniform off-axis response and has less susceptibility to acoustic feedback
Fast impulse response and settling time for incredible detail
David Blackmer, founder of dbx and Earthworks, two of the most influential and innovative pro audio manufacturers in the history of the industry was focused on created the world’s best loudspeakers. To accomplish that goal, he realized that he needed more precise test equipment than was available at the time. As such, he began his quest for perfect sound reproduction with the invention of a remarkable test microphone. In his research, Blackmer discovered that impulse response was a far more revealing indicator of a mic’s performance that simply measuring frequency response.
Impulse response indicates how fast a microphone can react to fast transients, such as a snare hit or cymbal attack. The positive-going wave, called compression, causes the diaphragm to vibrate. The speed at which the diaphragm resets to its zero point, in anticipation of the next attack is its settling time. A fast impulse response allows the mic to capture the full crispness and detail of attacks, while the fast settling time will allow you to hear subtle details in your recording previous not possible. The overall term for how sensitive a diaphragm is to compression and rarefaction of sound waves is “compliance.”
SR25 cardioid condenser mic
The Earthworks SR25 is a directional pre-polarized condenser microphone with a first-order cardioid pickup pattern directly coupled to a dedicated wideband, low output impedance transformerless preamplifier. It features a fast impulse response, very low handling noise, uniform polar pattern, and high SPL handling capabilities. The SR25 also provides excellent uncolored rejection of sounds arriving off-axis and a transparent sonic character with an even 20Hz – 25kHz frequency response. Its near-perfect cardioid polar pattern is consistent across all frequencies, ensuring more gain before feedback, which also makes it a very capable mic for live sound reinforcement.
While most of the mics used for kick drums are purpose-built for that task alone, Earthworks saw no reason to limit versatility. Toward that end Earthworks created the KickPad, and inline attenuator/EQ that can optimize the response of any microphone for kick drum capture. Simply plug the KickPad into the cable feeding the SR25 (or other cardioid kick drum mic) and it’s instant kick drum sound every time. With the KickPad removed, you can use the same SR25 for most anything. A passive device with XLR I/O that can be used with either condenser or dynamic microphones, and can be used for both recording and live performance applications.
Live-sound reinforcement and more
The DK25/L DrumKit is specifically designed for live-sound reinforcement of drums and percussion. The DK25/L can also be used for recording. Whereas the DK25/R is meant for recording, it’s two TC25 overhead condensers have an omni pattern, while the SR25 condensers are cardioid, which provide a more pronounced left/right separation in the stereo field than omnis. Along with drums, the SR25 mics in DK25/L DrumKit will provide stunning results on a wide variety of instruments and vocals. As an added bonus, the KickPad will improve the sound of other popular kick-drum mics as well.
- Live-sound reinforcement
The Earthworks DK25/L DrumKit system not only provides FOH engineers with a dedicated, audiophile-quality, live drum-miking solution, suitable for recording performances for television and broadcast. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks DK25/L DrumKit specifications:
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 25kHz ±2dB at 6″ (15cm)
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Sensitivity: 10mV/Pa (-40dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24 – 48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 145dB SPL
- Output: XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 600 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 20dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
- (3) Mc1 Microphone Clip
- (3) SRW3 Foam Windscreen
- (1) KP1 KickPad
- (1) DK25-C Aluminum Carrying Case