JBL 708P 8″ Bi-Amplified Master Reference Monitor with 250W low- and high-frequency bi-amplification, comprehensive room EQ, 192kHz digital input, time alignment, and 32-bit floating-point DSP
With a sound reminiscent of a mini JBL M2, the JBL 708P is a self-powered, two-way reference monitor that features JBL’s 8″ next-generation driver, patented image control waveguide, 2-way, high-efficiency Class-D amplifier and 32-bit/192kHz internal floating-point DSP. Designed for music recording, film post, and broadcast production applications, the 708P delivers an extraordinary 250W LF/250W HF output, stunning detail, and an expansive soundstage. It also features 12 bands of room EQ, 8 bands of user EQ, and room delay, to accommodate the acoustic characteristics of a broad range of rooms. Relatively compact, the 708P delivers several times the output of other comparably-sized studio monitors, providing significantly greater dynamic range, longer working distances, plus versatile mounting options with unobstructed transmission lines. JBL 708P monitors can be combined for multi-channel systems in facilities of any size, and immersive environments, controllable via Harman’s HiQnet network software.
JBL 708P Master Reference Monitor in one take:
- Next-generation JBL driver technology
- Patent-pending Image Control Waveguide
- Comprehensive room EQ and delay controls
- Compact enclosures for easy placement and installation
- JBL 2409H high-frequency transducer with low-mass annular diaphragm
- JBL 728G low-frequency transducer with patented Differential Drive allows
- extended low frequency with low distortion and high SPL
- Integrated dual amplification system with internal floating-point DSP
- Highly efficient and powerful dual Class-D amplifiers; 250W HF / 250W LF
JBL 708P Master Reference Monitor key features:
- 32-bit/192kHz floating-point processing
- 12 bands of room EQ, 8 bands of user EQ
- 6 factory presets, 6 user-defined presets
- 18 milliseconds room delay; 150 milliseconds AV Sync Delay
- 1 x XLR-1/4″ balanced combination analog audio input
- 1 x XLR AES3 format digital input with 1 x XLR pass-through output
- Digital input will accept sample rates up to 192kHz
- User-enabled sample rate converters
- RJ-45 network connection for Harman HiQnet connectivity
- Rear-panel multi-function controls and LCD display allow selection of input sensitivity, input trim, Room EQ, User EQ, Room Delay, AV Sync Delay
- Integrated handles
- Top and bottom mounting points; birch plywood cabinets reinforced for safe mounting
- Protective steel grilles
Next-generation driver technology
It’s said that if manufacturers aren’t designing and building their own drivers, they’re simply in the business of putting speakers in boxes. Well nothing could be further from the truth with JBL, who have been innovating speaker design since the company was formed in 1946. Seventy years later, JBL is still pioneering speaker design with their next-generation “Super Driver.” To accommodate the dynamic range and extended frequency response requirements of today’s production formats, JBL’s 2409H high-frequency transducer incorporates an innovative low-mass annular diaphragm that delivers smooth response beyond 40kHz, with extraordinary output and very low distortion. One advantage of a linear frequency response well past the range of human hearing is reducing phase shifts in the audible range, which in turn provides greater realism, detail, and precise spatial cues.
Image Control Waveguide
A product of JBL’s impressive audio legacy and their cutting-edge advances in studio monitor design, the 708P incorporates design features from JBL’s high-end M2 master reference monitor, in particular, the image control waveguide. This technology provides seamless crossover and uncolored response in the critical dialog range, which is essential to video post. The waveguide precisely controls sound emanating from the speaker horizontally and vertically, ensuring the sound arriving at the listening position is neutral and accurate. The 708P’s neutral off-axis response allows for greater accuracy, room-to-room consistency, highly detailed imaging, and a coherent transition between screen channels, surrounds and overhead speakers.
JBL-developed custom low-frequency transducers
The exceptional performance and low-frequency response of the JBL 708i in the 30Hz range is due to the custom 728G 8″ high-excursion, low frequency driver. The 728G delivers continuously high output thanks to its minimal power compression. JBL has gone to great lengths to reduce the effects of power compression, which is a result of DC resistance as copper or aluminum voice coils increase in temperature. As voice-coil resistance increases, less power is transferred from the amplifier. As a result, the speaker will not play as loud as it gets warmer. Some speakers may experience 3db–6dB of power compression, which means that the effect of power compression is like removing half your sound system.
Integrated Dual Amplification System
JBL 708P is self-powered with an amplification system optimized for its high-output drivers. A 250W amp powers the 2409H high-frequency transducer and a 250W amp is dedicated to the 728G low-frequency transducer. This combination delivers high output and excellent detail at longer listening distances, making them ideal for post-production or mastering environments.
Comprehensive EQ and Delay
Although the 708P design yields exceptional neutrality, the monitor also features onboard room equalization, for accurate reproduction in acoustically untreated or problematic spaces. In addition to twelve bands of Room EQ, eight bands of User EQ allow customized response curves such as the X-Curve, and compensation for “screen-loss” when placed behind a perforated cinema screen. User-enabled digital delay allows virtual alignment of speakers relative to the listening position, while additional “AV Synchronization” delay is available to compensate for latency in video displays.
Compact cabinet for versatile mounting
7 Series Powered monitors were developed with the modern control room in mind. A compact two-way design minimizes interference with video displays and sight lines, while still providing output that is comparable to larger speakers. The reinforced enclosure includes bottom and rear mounting points, allowing wall and ceiling mounting in either vertical or horizontal orientations.
708P features analog and digital inputs and sample-rate converters. AES/EBU digital inputs allow connectivity with a broad range of production hardware, including digital audio workstations (DAW), mixing consoles and digital playback hardware with sample rates of up to 192kHz. Internal sample rate converters can be enabled to allow connection to digital signals with uncommon sample rates.
Modular, scalable, central amplification and signal processing control
To accommodate the size and needs of post and broadcast facilities as well as mobile control rooms, the 7-Series studio monitors including the SLR708i and 705i are modular designs for scalability depending on the number of channels required and room size. 7-Series monitors can also be combined with JBL’s flagship M2 Master Reference Monitor to produce a wide range of systems. For example, used as screen channels, the M2 integrates perfectly into system with JBL cinema surrounds, subwoofers, and overhead surround speakers specified in burgeoning theatrical release formats.
HARMAN HiQnet™ port enables feature updates as available
Also available: JBL 7 Series i externally powered install models and the JBL Intonato 24 Monitor Management Tuning System for complete scalable monitoring solutions for multi-channel and immersive audio environments
JBL has been a leader in studio monitors since the early days of recording, and continues to stay on top with cutting-edge technologies that continue to push the boundaries of sound reproduction. Call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today to integrate your studio or post facility with the amazing JBL 708P.
JBL 705P Master Reference Monitor Specifications:
- Frequency Response: -1.5dB @ 45Hz–23kHz
- Frequency Range: 35Hz–36kHz
- Max SPL: (80Hz-20kHz) >108dB SPL / 1m
- Maximum Peak SPL: (80Hz-20kHz) >114dB SPL / 1m
- HF Driver: 2409H
- LF Driver: 728G
- Transition Frequency:0 1.7kHz
- Input Types: 1 x XLR-1/4″ balanced combination analog audio input
- 1x XLR AES3 format digital input with 1x XLR pass-through output
- Digital input will accept sample rates up to 192kHz
- Enclosure: Birch plywood, reinforced for mounting
- Mounting: Top, bottom and rear mounting points. 4-hole mounting pattern
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 17-1/4″ x 9-3/4″ x 11-1/2″ (438 x 248 x 292 mm)
- Weight each: 25.2 lb. (11.5 kg)