D.W. Fearn VT-2 Dual Channel Mic Preamp
All Tube Dual Channel Microphone Preamp
New classics from D.W. Fearn
D.W. Fearn made a big splash in 1993 when they hit the scene with the VT-1, an all-tube microphone preamplifier built with the highest quality components. Following their success with the VT-1, D.W. Fearn developed a full line of high-performance products utilizing all-tube signal chains, from compressors to EQ’s to DI’s. D.W. Fearn now holds a reputation as a top manufacturer of high-end tube gear.
Founder and lead designer Douglas Fearn has a serious passion for tube circuitry and has made it his mission to design the highest quality tube-driven gear based on classic designs from the ’50s and ’60s. There is nothing fancy about D.W. Fearn’s tube-based designs, and that’s what makes them so good. Their simple, elegant circuitry uses only the best class A components, and the result is unparalleled clarity and sonic character.
In addition to the pristine audio quality, all D.W. Fearn products are built for the highest level of reliability and ruggedness. Each of their products are contained in a heavy-gauge aluminum chassis (painted their signature red), have gold-contact precision relays (to prevent dirty contacts from degrading the sound), and use point-to-point wiring. With this type of attention to detail and a refusal to compromise on quality, it’s no wonder D.W. Fearn’s products are found in the most prestigious studios around the globe.
VT-1/VT-2/VT-24 preamplifiers in one take:
- All tube microphone preamplifiers built with class A components
- Transparent, smooth, intimate sound
- 0dB, -20db, and Lo-Z input settings
- Phase inversion and +48V phantom power switches
- Come in 1 channel (VT-1), 2 channel (VT-2), and 4 channel (VT-24) varieties
Pristine, warm audio
The VT-1/VT-2/VT-24 are the products that started it all for D.W. Fearn. They are high-end, all-tube preamplifiers, based on the legendary tube preamps of the 1950s and ’60s. They are known for being extremely transparent while making vocals (or any instrument) sound smoother, warmer, and more intimate.
Simple, elegant controls
The controls on the VT-1/VT-2/VT24 are simple and elegant just like on classic 50’s and 60’s gear. There’s a gain knob (labeled “Attenuation”), a switch to toggle between -20db, Normal, or Lo-Z input settings, a switch to invert the phase, and a +48v power switch for mics that need phantom power. Each channel has a true VU meter for accurate metering.
Because of their superior sonic quality and reliability, the VT-1/VT-2/VT-24 preamps can be found in top studios around the world. They come in 1 channel (VT-1), 2 channel (VT-2), and 4 channel (VT-24) versions, all of which look extremely classy in their sturdy red aluminum chassis.
- All vacuum-tube design
- Lo-Z input position for superior performance with transformerless mics
- Phase (polarity) reverse switch
- +48 volt phantom power (completely disconnected when off)
- Custom-design Jensen input and output transformers
- 20 dB input pad (switchable)
- True VU meters (amplifier isolated)
- All point-to-point audio wiring
- Gold input and output XLR connectors
- Polypropylene and polystyrene coupling capacitors
- All audio switching through gold-contact, sealed precision relays
- International operation on 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- CE certified, RoHS-compliant
- +4 dBm output
- Conservatively rated precision components and rugged construction for stability and long life
- Input 150 ohms
- Input Load Impedance 1.5k ohms
- Minimum Input Level -65 dBm nominal
- Maximum Input Level @ 20 cps -30 dBm without pad, -5 dBm with 20 dB pad
- Gain 53 dB
- Frequency Response +/-0.25 dB 20 cps to 20 kc; -3 dB @ 0.5 cps and 55 kc
- THD+Noise less than 0.25% 20 cps to 20 kc
- Intermodulation Distortion SMPTE less than 0.02%
- Signal to Noise Ratio 74 dB minimum
- Equivalent Input Noise -124 dBm maximum
- Output low-Z, transformer-balanced
- Maximum Output Level +22 dBm, 20k ohm load
- Power Requirements 100, 120, or 220 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions 19” (48.26cm) W, 5.25” (13.34cm) H, 14” (35.56cm) D