API 3124V 4-Channel Discrete Mic Preamp
3124V Discrete 4-Channel Mic/Line Pre
The API 3124V is a 4-channel discrete mic preamp with output level controls and switchable 3:1 output transformer
The API 3124V comprises four 312 preamps, originally designed in the ’70s, are a favorite for miking drums, and electric guitars. Known for its hot output signal, the original 3124 could often required the use of output attenuators to prevent clipping converters. Knowing that input pads change the sound of the 312, API responded with the 3124V, which adds variable output level controls for each channel. With the level control, you can hit the preamps harder for more saturation and control the output like you would on a mixer. Speaking of hot, the API 3124V provides a ribbon mic-friendly 65dB of clean gain.
API 3124V 4-Channel Discrete Mic Preamp in one take:
- Classic API Circuit Design
- Uses API 2520 Op Amps
- Variable Output Level Control
- 3:1 Output Transformer Tap Selection
- Four female XLR mic inputs
- Four front panel 1/4″ Hi Z instrument inputs
- Front-panel polarity switches
- Front-panel -20dB pad switches
- Front-panel mic/instrument switches
- Front-panel 48V power switches
The 3124V is equipped with API’s RE-115 K mic input transformer and proprietary output transformer found in all API mic pres. Additionally, the 3124V offers switchable 3:1 output transformer selection. The 3124V has an internal +48V phantom power supply, which is switchable for each channel, as well as -20dB pad switches that affect both the mic and Hi-Z instrument inputs, both located on the front panel.
The 3124V also features up to 65dB of gain. Additionally, the Hi-Z front panel inputs feed directly to the op amps, which allow a low level input such as a guitar or bass to be amplified without a matching transformer or direct box. These Hi-Z inputs can take levels as high as +20dBu, making them perfect for keyboards and other high level devices. The mic preamp outputs are on rear panel male XLR connectors.
API 3124V specifications:
- Input Impedance: 1,500 ohm mic, 470K ohm unbalanced, HI-Z in
- Output Impedance: Less than 75-ohm channel outputs
- Nominal Levels: XLR Channel Output +4dBu
- Stereo Output Level: Unbalanced: nominal -2, Balanced: +4
- Frequency Response: +0, -5, 10 Hz to 20 kHz (-.5 at 10 Hz)
- Noise EIN: -129 Mic, -125 Un-Bal. Actual
- Measured Noise: Better than -91dBm / below Nominal +4
- Distortion: All Outputs at +4 out, .03%, at +22, .09% Max
- Gain Range: 150 ohm Input 10dB Min., 65dB Max (inc. PAD) Un-Bal. Input 14dB Min., 50dB Max
- VU Meter: Calibrated for XLR Outputs, OVU=+4dBu, (-12, -6, -3, 0, +3, +6, +18)
- Controls: GAIN, PAD (20 dB), 48Volts, POL (polarity), MIC (mic/un-bal), VU, AC
- Power Consumption, Quiescent: 19.2 watts
- Size: 19″ x 1-3/4″ x 11″
- Size (Boxed for Shipping): 23-1/4″ x 6-1/2″ x 16-1/2″
- Actual Weight: 10.38 lb.
- Shipping Weight: 14.06 lb.
|Dimensions||24 x 7 x 16 in|
1.75 x 11 x 19
4 x XLR
4 x XLR (Mic), 4 x 1/4" (Hi-Z)