Meet the Vanguard Audio V44S
The Vanguard V44S is a stereo large-diaphragm multi-pattern FET condenser microphone. Lovingly
crafted by experts over 2 years, it is designed to be a versatile, reliable, professional tool in the vein
of highly sought-after vintage stereo condensers of yesteryear. With a pair of coincident twin
custom-voiced multi-pattern capsules, you can utilize X/Y, Mid-Side, Blumlein, and other less
conventional stereo microphone techniques in a single microphone. With an all-new detented heavy-
duty rotation mechanism, versatile splitter box, premium cryogenically-treated FET circuitry, and a
VLSM shock mount, the V44S is the first and last stereo microphone you’ll ever need to reach for.
The new V44S gen2 Multi-Pattern Stereo FET mic, like ALL of the gen22 releases, has
been given a significant improvement in both sonic performance and its fit and finish.
The V44S gen2 stands alone in the field of professional, dual-capsule, stereo microphones,
nothing really compares in terms of sound, functionality, quality of build, and circuit
performance. We believe it is the finest stereo microphone you can own.
- The V44S now features a new stainless steel body to house the beefier, audiophile-grade components on the newly designed PCB.
- All XLR connectors on the microphone and splitter box are now made by NeutrikTM. The cables have been upgraded to NeutrikTM REAN connectors and are built for us by NeutrikTM.
- We have totally redesigned the stereo capsule rotating mechanism to allow for 120 degrees of top capsule rotation…It is the strongest, most reliable rotating head design on any stereo mic…EVER!
- The beautiful pinot noir Vanguard finish we’re known for is even more luxurious now…totally sleek!
- We have beefed up the capsule cradle/saddle assembly, making the V44S nearly impervious to sudden knocks and shocks.
- Vanguard has upgraded a number of key signal-path components to audiophile-grade, and sourced them from USA makers in the process!
- The component and circuit improvements have lowered the self-noise on the mic making it quite possibly the quietest stereo condenser microphone ever made.
We designed the V44S with the character of classic stereo microphones in mind, while also utilizing
modern technology & design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals. Our ultra-thin
3µm edge-terminated capsule diaphragms are extraordinarily sensitive, ensuring that every nuance
and detail of the performance is faithfully captured.
Both custom-voiced capsules are independently switchable between cardioid, omnidirectional, and
figure-8 pickup patterns, enabling X/Y, Mid-Side, and Blumlein stereo micing within one microphone,
as well as less conventional stereo techniques.
One of the biggest frustrations we’ve heard from users of stereo microphones is the flaws of current
and past head basket rotation assemblies. Too often, the current designs are fragile and prone to
noisy operation, breakage, and signal loss. We designed a heavy-duty, punched-steel rotation
mechanism that detents every 15 degrees for reliable, durable operation.
The included splitter box contains an additional phase-reversed top capsule output, which is perfect
for less-than-ideal recording conditions such as concert taping. This allows mid-side recording with
no additional mixer patching.
After hundreds of hours of listening and testing exhaustive design variations with world-class
engineers, we can confidently say that this microphone will vastly exceed the performance of other
stereo microphones in its price range, and rival the performance of stereo microphones costing
several times more.
The VANGUARD V44S is very different from other microphones in its price range. It is designed and
precision-built in limited quantities to “no-compromise” standards, with final assembly and 100%
testing taking place here in Southern California.
We started with twin extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule
assemblies and custom-voiced them with a proprietary hand-tuning process, placing each capsule in
an open-weave head basket for a natural sound with low internal reflections. The top headbasket
rotates up to 90 degrees, with detents every 15 degrees for repeatability of settings.
We then designed a transformerless solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of
our capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers
around the world. We cryogenically treated critical components in the signal and power paths,
including an ultra-high-grade FET.
Aesthetically, the precision-machined brass body is coated with our signature Pinot Noir, finished
with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard
badge. Your V44S’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
The V44S was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of experience and vetted by
award-winning engineers and producers.
The V44S was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California.
We perform 100% quality control – every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of
stringent audio and visual tests here in Southern California before being hand-packed.
Every part of the V44S was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components
were over-specced. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of
critical electronic components. Brass, steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty
construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by our FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY.
When you buy a V44S, you also get a VLSM Heavy-Duty Shockmount. We wanted to rethink the
standard “spider-style” shockmount of old, and designed the VLSM with a few nifty features. First is
the open front, which allows you to position the microphone as close to the source as necessary.
Second, we install aerospace-grade suspension rings that won’t break, sag, crack, or stretch over
time. This shockmount was designed to fit any microphone with M22x1 threading, so you also can
use it with a number of microphones from other manufacturers.
The V44S also comes with the our utility splitter box, which allows you to break out the 5-pin
microphone cable into conventional 3-pin XLR. The splitter box contains a transformer-isolated
phase-inverted top capsule output in addition to the standard top-capsule output, allowing for mid-
side operation in less-than-ideal recording conditions with no patching at the mixer. An additional two
standard XLR inputs allow you to use other microphones, such as the Vanguard V13, in the same
Finally, we included a windscreen for outdoor recording situations.
When not in use, your V44S should be stored in its padded pinewood box.
The aluminum combo-lock carrying case keeps your V44S microphone, pinewood box, cable,
windscreen, and splitter box in one place.
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
- Electronics Type: Solid-state, electronically-balanced output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: appx. 135dB
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 5-pin, gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch: N/A
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: N/A
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): 1.11 lbs / 0.50kg
- Weight (in case): 9.43 lbs / 4.28kg
- Dimensions (microphone): 9.41″ long, 1.82″ max diameter / 239mm long, 46.25mm max
- Dimensions (case): 16.92″L x 12.60″W x 6.02″H / 430mmL x 320mmW x 153mm
- Voltage Requirement: Phantom Power (+48V ideal)
- V44S Splitter Box
- VLSM Large Shockmount with aerospace-grade suspension rings
- 5-pin Heavy-Duty Microphone Cable
- Removable Windscreen
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Box
- Locking Aluminum Carrying Case