The UA LA-610 is a vintage channel strip comprising the all-tube 610 preamp and the opto-compressor used in the LA-2A—two iconic studio tools in recording history
The Universal Audio LA-610 MkII is a channel strip that combines two of Universal Audio’s very best history-making studio standards; the all-tube 610 preamp and the Teletronix LA-2A compressor. The LA-610 comprises a hand-built, all-tube 610 preamp with 2-band shelving EQ, and an authentic Teletronix T4 electro-optical attenuator as used in the LA-2A compressor. Both of these iconic studio tools have been heard on classic records, by iconic artists spanning multiple genres, from Ray Charles to Van Halen. This time-honored channel strip design, with its rich and dimensional preamp tone, combined with and smooth, natural compression, has been updated with user-requested features, such as true compressor bypass, larger metering, increased output, and an auto-switching power supply.
Universal Audio LA-610 MkII in one take:
- All-tube mic preamp design based on the Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Authentic Teletronix LA-2A-style T4 opto-compressor section
- MkII exclusive features include: true compressor bypass, larger metering, increased output, and auto-switching power supply
- Mic pre with gain and level controls, variable impedance switching, and instrument DI for timbral variation
- High- and low-frequency shelving EQ
- Complete vintage channel strip at groundbreaking price within project studio reach
- UA build quality and heritage, audiophile components, hand-assembled in the USA
- Backed by 1-Year limited warranty
Universal Audio LA-610 MkII Improvements:
- True bypass of the compressor circuit
- Larger and better lit metering
- Improved output signal performance
- Auto-sensing universal power supply
- Improved stability with feedback-style shelving EQ
- Improved consistency with input gain values
- LED jewel light never needs replacing
The all-tube 610 preamp
When Bill Putnam Sr. founded Universal Audio, recording consoles were not commercially available, and built by combining various components, such as preamps, equalizers, etc., which to be electronically specified by the engineer, to ensure impedance matches and avoidance of high-frequency loss, noise, distortion, and things in general going poof. Putnam’s Universal Audio was the first to introduce a modular channel strip (the 610 Modular Amplifier, which comprised the all-tube 610 preamp (known for its silky rich character and 3-dimensional sound) with equalizer, three program outputs, and an echo send with an independent level control.
Only 25 or so of the custom consoles were built, with two of them going to iconic musicians, by the name of Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles. UA 610 preamps contributed to the sound of records by Coldplay, Van Halen, and the Beach Boys, whose landmark UA 610-infused Pet Sounds influenced Paul McCartney to conceive Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Tone-rich tube compression
The LA-610 Mk II’s T4 tube compressor is the heart of the Teletronix LA-2A, the king of opto compression. The T4 electro-optical detector’s photo resistors are the crucial components that give the LA-2A its signature warmth, making it the go-to compressor for tracking vocals, bass, and acoustic guitars. The simple truth is the between the killer combination of the 610 and T4, it’s impossible to get a bad sound out of the LA-610.
Record through the all-tube mic preamp from the bench of Bill Putnam, and compress signals with authentic Teletronix T4 opto-compression tube circuitry. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro sales consultant today.