Ocean Way Audio Pro2A Reference Monitor
If you’ve been looking for a little slice of Ocean Way sound for your studio, the Pro2A reference monitor is a dream come true. Designed by Ocean Way’s Alan Sides, the Pro2A is the entry-level monitor of the OWA speaker line—if you’re looking for entry into the upper level of professional monitoring. The sleek trapezoidal cabinet of the Pro2A isn’t just visually appealing; it’s functional as well. It reduces baffle reflections and time-aligns the high- and low-frequency driver outputs, plus, it’s built with materials designed to minimize low-frequency resonance. Additionally, the cabinet’s bass port is optimized to increase the woofer’s low frequency extension and sound pressure level capacity. A two-way, self-powered system, the Ocean Way Pro2A delivers outstanding performance with a uniform frequency response of 35Hz to 25kHz, and 110 dB maximum SPL between channels, which allows for flexibility of placement in any control room. Built for the discerning professional, the Ocean Way Pro2A offers impeccable detail with an open, natural sound, and precise spatial imaging. If you’re looking for bang for the buck without sonic compromise, the Ocean Way Audio Pro2A delivers professional performance well above its price range.
Ocean Way Audio Pro2A Reference Monitor in one take:
- 250-watt per side, 2-way active monitor with analog and 24-bit/192kHz digital inputs
- Efficient, distortion-free dynamic range
- Detailed attention to time alignment and reduced baffle reflections in a sleek cabinet design
- Optimized low-frequency woofer extension and SPL handling
- Silk fabric dome high-frequency driver with superb mechanical linearity provides detail and definition
- Low-frequency driver with geometrically reinforced cone yields optimal strength and low compression
- Low listening fatigue over entire audio spectrum
- Accepts the addition of an Ocean Way S12A sub-bass cabinet
INSIDE THE BOX—Ocean Way Audio Pro2A Reference Monitor
Pro2A comprises a high-definition, silk fabric dome high-frequency driver, plus a geometrically reinforced, aluminum-cone low-frequency driver. The high-frequency driver has excellent mechanical linearity, which results in greater accuracy of the system, since the excursions of the HF driver are not being affected by the vibrational energy of the enclosure. The geometrically reinforced, aluminum-cone LF driver has a vented cast aluminum chassis that yields optimum strength, excellent linearity at high power, and low compression, which preserves output power. Combined with rock-solid cabinet construction, the system offers minimal reflection, high resolution, and low listening fatigue over the entire audio spectrum. The Ocean Way Pro2A also features overload protection circuitry to ensure that drivers and amplifiers remain electrically protected, providing long-term system reliability—essential to running a professional shop.
Ocean Way S12A sub-bass cabinet
The Ocean Way Audio S12A sub-bass cabinet can be added to a Pro2A 2-way system should the need arise for added low frequency extension. The S12A sub-bass cabinet is a single 12″ long-throw woofer in a bass reflex cabinet, which extends the LF response of the system down to 25Hz. The S12A is powered by an 800-watt amplifier.
OUTSIDE THE BOX—Ocean Way Audio Pro2A / S12A Sub-Bass Cabinet
The rear panel of the Pro2A has a balanced XLR analog input; AES-EBU digital input and output over two XLR connectors; Ethernet port; and an input mode selector with four LED indicators to switch between modes. The rear panel also has a recessed master volume adjustment, IEC power connector, power on/off switch, and a voltage selector switch that allows global use.
There are four presets stored in the monitor’s memory:
- LED 1 – when lit indicates the ‘Analog In’ XLR is active
- LED 2 – when lit indicates the ‘Digital In (AES-EBU)’ XLR is active
- LED 3 off / LED 4 off – System is configured as a 2-way system with no low frequency roll off
- LED 3 off / LED4 on – System is configured as a 3-way system to support the S12A sub-bass cabinet. Low frequency is rolled off at 85Hz using a 4th-order L-R crossover. This preset does not support digital in
- LED 3 on / LED4 off – System is configured as a 2-way digital left channel
- LED 3 on / LED4 on – Speaker is configured as a 2-way digital right channel
S12A Sub-Bass Cabinet
The rear panel of the S12A subwoofer (HR4S) has four XLR connectors for analog audio input, link, AES through, and AES 3 in. There is also a USB port and a momentary toggle switch with four LED indicators to scroll through the S12A’s four input mode presents. The sub-bass is factory programed to preset two. The sub-bass can be decreased 1bB by selecting preset 1, increased by 1dB by selecting Preset 3, plus an additional 1dB by selecting Preset 4.
About Ocean Way Audio
The name Ocean Way generally conjures thoughts of Alan Sides’ drool-worthy collection of rare microphones, vintage gold-standard outboard, and studios responsible for numerous classic recordings with over one billion sold worldwide. Allen Sides himself is a five-time Grammy Award-winning engineer-producer-mixer who founded Ocean Way Recording. His studios and his Ocean Way Monitoring Systems have enabled artists such as The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Eminem, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Radiohead, among numerous others, create milestone music recordings. Mr. Sides designed and built Ocean Way Studios Hollywood, Ocean Way Studios Nashville, Ocean Way Studio St. Barth’s at Eden Rock and Record One Studios Sherman Oaks. Together, these constitute the most award-winning and successful music studios in the world. Mr. Sides has also personally recorded over 1,000 albums, many of which have become audiophile classics. Albums recorded in Mr. Sides’ studios have sold in excess of 1 billion copies.
Who better to trust the most important part of your signal chain to than the legendary Ocean Way and Alan Sides? For more information on the Ocean Way Audio Pro2A reference monitor, call or chat with your Westlake Pro Audio representative today.
Ocean Way Audio Pro2A Specifications:
- Amplification: 2-way
- HF amp: 125 watts
- LF amp: 125-watts
- HF driver size: 1″
- LF driver size: 8″
- Digital inputs: AES3 via XLR (24-bit/192kHz)
- Frequency Range: 35Hz > 25kHz
- Maximum peak SPL: 110dB
- Enclosure type: ported
- AC power: 115/230V (switchable)
- Dimensions: 16″ x 11-1/2″ x 13-1/2″ (H x W x D)
- Weight: 45 lb.
- Driver size: 12″
- Power amp: 800-watts per channel
- Dimensions: H 18″ x W 18″ x D 21-1/2″
- Weight: 76 lb.