Moog Matriarch 4-Note Paraphonic Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer
4-Voice Paraphonic Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer with 90 Patch Points, Stereo Moog Filters, and Stereo Analog Delay
Meet The Matriarch:
The Matriarch is the latest addition to Moog’s collection of outstanding analog synthesizers. Inspired by the circuitry of classic Moog synth modules, it is a breeding ground for creativity and introduces a world of new, yet familiar Moog sounds. There is no patching required to begin creating, however, 90 patch points available for infinite sonic discoveries. With each modifiable parameter readily at your fingertips and a clear, retro color-coded layout, a never-ending library of euphonious Moog sounds are available with ease.
Matriarch In One Take
- 100% analog.
- 49-note Fatar keyboard with velocity and aftertouch available via MIDI, KBD VEL OUT and KB AT OUT jacks, or with the option of velocity and aftertouch being patched in.
- Can be played as Mono, 2 voice paraphonic, or 4 voice paraphonic.
- MIDI sync-able analog delay with stereo, and ping-pong option, based on the MF-104M and 500 Series effects.
- White noise generator.
- 256 step arpeggiator/step sequencer with four modes: Order, Forward/Backward, Random. 12 sequence locations.
- Additional LFO with six selectable waveshapes.
- Discrete dual analog VCAs based on the 902 module, routed in stereo.
- Dual ADSR envelopes.
- Three bipolar voltage controlled attenuators with optional ring modulation.
- 2×4 parallel wired unbuffered mults.
Blast from Moog’s Past
Moog’s signature sound is all over the Matriarch, using hardware recreation from units such as the Minimoog, modules such as the CP3, 904A, 911, 902, and effects based on the MF-104M. The Matriarch offers a sound that we all know and love already while still being something completely new. There is that undeniable Moog sound, with new potential for experimentation and sonic possibilities.
The oscillators are based on those of the Minimoog, this time having four waveshape options, however. They can all be set to four-note paraphonic mode, running through the same envelopes and VCAs, or can be stacked with hard-sync to create a larger-than-life mono sound, which sounds amazing for bass.
The Mixer on the Matriarch is based on the CP3 module, equipped with its original asymmetrical clipping behavior. It has one instrument level input and five additional eurorack level inputs. Equipped with a knob for each oscillator, and a knob for noise.
Modulation and Controllers
The Matriarch is armed with a modulation wheel, an LFO with six selectable waveshapes, as well as an analog modulation oscillator (Sine, Saw, Ramp, Square, Stepped Triangle, Smoothed Random, Sample and Hold, Noise) with selectable and patchable output, making modulation options limitless. Also included are a pitch wheel, variable glide, and expression pedal input.
The filters are based on the classic 904A module. One is a 24dB/octave low pass filter with resonance; the second filter is identical with the option to be switched to high pass. Configurable in parallel (HP/LP), stereo (LP/LP), and series (HP/LP). Rendering the ability to create those classic, smooth Moog tones.
Accessible For All Levels
Though the Matriarch can be an incredible tool for intricate sound design, it takes very little know-how to start creating sounds. Because patching is only optional, regardless of how much knowledge is had on synthesis, sounds can be easily discovered. This allows the Matriarch to be one’s teacher when it comes to patching and learning the capabilities of a synthesizer, allowing to learn by ear the functions of the hardware. Having a ¼” input jack also allows the option of learning the hardware with a more familiar instrument.
- 1/4” TS jack input for any instrument to be run through the effects of the Matriarch.
- 1/4” Sustain input.
- 1/4” expression pedal input.
- Two 1/4” TS jacks for line level output, with mono option available.
- 1/4” headphone jack with dedicated level knob.
- 2x 3.5mm Eurorack level outputs.
- USB connector.
- MIDI in, through, and out.
- 90 x 3.5mm patch points on the front and rear panels: 49 Inputs, 33 Outputs, 2×4 Parallel-wired Mults.
- 12V DC, 2A, 100 to 240 Volts AC, 50/60Hz with screw-on barrel connector.
- Dimensions 32” (81.28cm) Wide x 14 1/4” (36.19cm) Deep x 5 1/2” (13.97cm) High
- Weight 24lbs. 10.89kg.