The JBL 308P MKII is an easily affordable, two-way powered studio monitor with an 8″ woofer that incorporates technology from JBL’s high-end 7 Series and M2 Master Reference Monitors
The question often asked of budget monitors is whether they provide professional-level sound staging, detail, and bass extension. If they say JBL 308P MKII on the front, then the answer is yes, yes they do. Featuring proprietary technology from JBL’s world-class studio monitors, such as the Image Control Waveguide and Slip Stream low-frequency port, the 308P MKII reproduces audio with precise imaging and detail, a wide sweet spot, impressive dynamic range, and superior bass performance at all volume levels. Cranking out a power 112 watts, the JBL 308P’s next-generation transducers provide superior transient response and improved linearity to facilitate intelligent application of EQ and dynamics. Sporting a sleek, modern design, JBL 308P MkII powered monitors deliver outstanding performance and an enjoyable mix experience at an accessible price.
JBL 308P MKII powered monitor in one take:
- Patented Image Control Waveguide for detailed imaging and a broad, room-friendly sweet spot
- Next-generation JBL transducers for optimized transient response and improved linearity
- Patented Slip Stream™ low-frequency port for superior bass performance at all playback levels
- Dual integrated, custom Class-D amplifiers provide 112 watts of power for high output and dynamic range
- New Boundary EQ settings compensate for low frequency variants introduced by the environment
- HF Trim switch adjusts high-frequency output to room acoustics or personal preferences
- Flexible connectivity with balanced XLR and 1/4″ TRS inputs, +4dBu / -10dBV input-sensitivity switch and adjustable volume control
- Engineered to JBL Linear Spatial Reference design criteria for outstanding accuracy in any working space
- Strenuous JBL 100-hour full-power test ensures years of reliability
- Sleek, modern design provides a visual upgrade to any studio
What’s new in MkII
The original JBL 3 Series was a big hit with hobbyists and high-end professionals alike, finding a home in music, film, post, and broadcast production worldwide. So why update? On every project at JBL, there’s always a handful of features or improvements that the engineering team can’t squeeze in before going to production. 3 Series was no different. When the opportunity presented itself, JBL decided to make those final improvements to the transducers, add a frequently-requested feature, and apply the latest manufacturing learning. The result is a new edition of the popular 3 series that retains the best qualities of the original, but now looks better, sounds better, and works effectively across even more production environments.
Proprietary Image Control Waveguide
A product of JBL’s impressive audio legacy and cutting-edge advances Image Control Waveguide derives from JBL’s high-end M2 master reference monitor. This technology provides seamless crossover and uncolored response in the critical dialog range, which is essential to video post. The waveguide precisely controls sound emanating from the speaker horizontally and vertically, ensuring the sound arriving at the listening position is neutral and accurate. JBL 308P MkII delivers a crystal-clear representation of your mix—revealing subtle details, even when listening off-axis.
The most important part of your signal chain
If you can’t accurately hear what’s been recorded, you can’t make proper mix decisions. JBL’s 3 Series transducers have been tweaked to perform even better than before, with faster high-frequency transient response through fine-tuned ferro-fluid damping, and greater low-frequency linearity (with lower harmonic distortion) courtesy of an enhanced woofer design. Overcoming the masking effects of ported monitors, the patented JBL Slip Stream low-frequency port and long-throw 8″ woofer produce deep, accurate and tightly controlled bass. To facilitate spatial placement in the stereo field, clean, detailed highs and excellent transient response come via the woven-composite 1″ Neodymium tweeter. The result is a studio monitor you can trust—with class-leading peak handling, dynamics and neutral frequency response.
If you’re working in bass-heavy genres or simply prefer to mix good old rock and roll at higher levels, the powerful 308P features dual integrated Class D power amplifiers, custom designed by JBL for each transducer. From music production and podcasting to cinematic sound design or daily vlogging, you’ll get all the output and power you need to hear exceptional detail at any volume.
Boundary EQ for speaker placement
Since you can’t mix in the limitless vacuum of outer space, the room you’re in has a major effect on sonic accuracy. The JBL 308P MkII lets you adjust its response to fit your studio. The new Boundary EQ attenuates the low-end boost that can occur when you place monitors directly on the desktop or near walls. The 3-position HF Trim switch allows you to adjust the high-frequency response of the 308P MkII to tailor it to room acoustics or personal tastes.
Offering both balanced XLR and 1/4″ TRS inputs, and adjustable +4dBu/-10dBV input sensitivity, the 308P MkII offers flexible, professional connectivity options to provide easy setup while maintaining your signal integrity.
Why choose JBL?
Apart from its history starting out as the monitor to have in high-end studios, the design of the 308P MkII is the product of over 70 years of JBL acoustic expertise—a refined studio monitor at an outstanding value. It’s said that if you don’t design and build your own speakers, than you’re merely in the shipping industry (a speaker in a box). JBL designs and builds custom speakers that squeeze every ounce of performance from each component to deliver efficient, accurate sound reproduction. The 308P MkII is designed to JBL’s Linear Spatial Reference criteria—a series of 72 individual measurements taken 360 degrees around the speaker to ensure a faithful reproduction of your mix, whatever your listening environment.
JBL Professional reliability
Reliability is the first rule of studio equipment, and JBL Professional studio monitors are designed for reliable performance, even when projects push your gear to the limit. Before being approved for production, 3 Series monitors must first pass JBL’s strenuous Power Test. Each model is required to perform flawlessly at maximum volume for an unheard-of 100 hours—without failure. As a result, you can depend on 308P MkII monitors to deliver consistently excellent sound reproduction for years to come.
JBL’s 8″ powered studio monitor makes exceptional sound accuracy affordable for anyone looking to mix like the pros on a home studio budget. Order yours today.
JBL 308P MKII specifications:
- LF driver size : 8″ (203mm)
- HF driver size: 1″ (25mm)
- HF driver type: Soft dome
- Crossover: 1.8kHz 4th order acoustic Linkwitz-Riley
- OK for use near magnetically sensitive equipment: Yes
- Input sensitivity (-10dBV input): 92dB/1m
- Power configuration: Bi-amplified
- HF driver power amp: 56W, Class-D
- LF driver power amp: 56W, Class-D
- Frequency response (±3dB): 45Hz – 20kHz
- Frequency range (-10dB): 37Hz – 24kHz
- Low frequency extension (-10dB): 37Hz
- Maximum continuous SPL: 102dB
- Maximum peak SPL: 112dB
- Maximum peak input level (-10dBV / +4dBu): +6dBV / +20.3dBu
- System distortion criteria: <10% THD at maximum output with full compressor/limiter engagement
- Electrical distortion criteria: 0.2% THD @ 1kHz / 2.83VRMS output; <1% THD @ 1kHz, full rated output
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 75dBA (A-Weighted), 70dBr (un-weighted), relative to 2.83VRMS output
- Coverage horizontal x vertical: 120° x 90°
- Analog input types: 1 x XLR female, 1 x TRS female, balanced
- HF trim control: -2dB, 0dB, +2dB
- Boundary EQ: LF Shelf @ 50Hz: -3dB, -1.5dB, 0dB
- AC input voltage: 100 – 240VAC (±10%), 50 / 60Hz
- Enclosure type: Ported
- Enclosure construction: 15mm MDF
- Enclosure finish: Matte black PVC
- Baffle construction Injection-molded structural ABS
- Cabinet dimensions (H x W x D): 16-1/2″ x 10″ x 12-3/32″ (419 x 254 x 308mm)
- Weight: 17.87 lb. (8.1 kg)
- Shipping weight: 20.73 lb. (9.4 kg)