The Earthworks TC20 is an omnidirectional microphone purpose-built for recording high-SPL sound sources, such as drums, percussion, amplified instruments, and loud sound effects
Microphone distortion, that is to say, overloading the mic’s preamp or diaphragm is a problem when recording loud sound sources, and hard to hear when you’re miking a heavily guitar distorted guitar amp, which will come back to bite you in the mix. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a mic you could put up close in front of any amp and not worry about whether the mic will distort? There is, it called the Earthworks TC20. With a mind-boggling SPL rating of 150dB, the TC20 has tons of headroom, so there’s no need to worry about distortion, even with the loudest instruments. Plus, there is no proximity effect, so you can get the TC20 as close as you want e for best signal-to-noise, or pull it back for a little room tone, all the while capturing the detail and realism that Earthworks is famous for.
Earthworks TC20 in one take:
- Cost-effective, general-purpose omni with flat frequency response from 10Hz to 20kHz
- Ideal for a wide variety of instruments and vocals, including acoustic guitar, string instruments, and piano
- For live sound the TC20 can be used for close miking instrument amps, drums or brass
- Omnidirectional polar pattern
- Accurate and uncolored
- Effortlessly handle high sound pressure levels up to 150dB SPL while simultaneously capturing subtle details
- Fast impulse response and diaphragm settling time
- Exceptional flat frequency response and are time coherent, so they sound natural and uncolored
TC20 technology and performance
The Earthworks TC20 is an omnidirectional (pressure) pre-polarized condenser microphone directly coupled to a dedicated wideband, low output impedance preamplifier. The TC20 requires a standard 48V phantom power supply. It features a linear free-field frequency response from 10Hz to 20kHz, fast impulse response, very low handling noise, uniform polar pattern, and very high SPL handling capabilities. It exhibits no proximity effect.
With a ruler-flat frequency response, the result is a more accurate representation of the original sound. The TC20s transient response is ultra fast, handling sharp attacks with ease, while still picking up all of the subtle nuances and softest dynamics of your playing. The TC20 is time coherent, precisely capturing high and low frequency sounds with no phase errors, which will smear transients and create other time related distortions.
Its near-perfect omnidirectional polar pattern is uniform across all specified frequencies, letting the microphone capture rich and consistent detail at any position around the capsule
The TC20 is Earthworks’ least expensive general-purpose omni. It is a good choice for close-miking louder sources such as instrument amps, drums, or close-miked brass. It is also very popular for drum overheads. A pair of TC20s connected to a stereo recorder will provide excellent results for recording rehearsals and performances. The TC20 is great for general studio use and is an exceptional value.
- Acoustic String Instruments
- Bass Amp
- Guitar Amp
The Earthworks TC20 takes the worry out of being close . . . to loud amps and instruments. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks TC20 specifications:
- Frequency Response: 9Hz to 20kHz ±1/-3dB
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional
- Sensitivity: 8mV/Pa (-42dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24-48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 150dB SPL
- Output: XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 600 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 26dB SPL equivalent (A-weighted)
- Dimensions L x D: 6-1/2″ x 7/8″ (165 x 22 mm)
- Weight: .35 lb. (160g)