The Earthworks cardioid condenser SR20 is a multi-purpose instrument and vocal mic with a flat 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, 139dB SPL handling, excellent off-axis response, and 32dB rear rejection
There are some mics that are destined to become studio-standards, one of which, is the Earthworks SR20 multi-purpose instrument and vocal mic. A cardioid condenser with a ruler-flat 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, zero-distortion 139dB SPL handling, and 32dB rear rejection, the SR20 excels on a wide range of sound sources, including vocals, guitar, drums, piano, horns, strings, and woodwinds—for both recording and live sound reinforcement. Another advantage of the SR20 is its smooth, uncolored off-axis response, which is the key to turning unwanted bleed into desirable ambience when recording multiple instruments in the same room.
Earthworks SR20 Multi-Purpose Instrument & Vocal Microphone in one take:
- Will accurately capture a voice with the same precision and quality up to 90 degrees off-axis, providing the same clear sound quality at the front and sides of the microphone
- Up close the SR20 is warm, not boomy, while its unique windscreen assembly eliminates “P-popping”
- Patented design and uniform polar response provide more gain before feedback than other microphones
- Unscrewing the windscreen of the SR20 allows it to become an instrument mic for piano, guitar, drums, brass, woodwinds and other instruments
- Textbook perfect cardioid polar pattern with natural on and off-axis performance
- Provides excellent results for both live performance and recording applications
- Extreme accuracy in the time domain for faithful reproduction and no smearing or distortion
- No smearing of low-level signals
Precision and quality performance
Painstakingly crafted to be a workhorse in the studio or onstage, the SR20 is designed to effortlessly transition from tracking vocals in the studio to miking acoustic guitar onstage, or whatever else you have in mind. Its cardioid polar pattern is impeccably consistent across all frequencies, which makes mic placement easier in multi-miking schemes by virtually eliminating phase issues, while providing more gain before feedback.
Thanks to Earthworks’ expertise in building highly compliant diaphragms with fast reset, the SR20 handles transients with ease, reproducing every detail no matter how subtle or sharp. Capable of handling sound pressure levels of up to 139dB without distortion, the SR20 can handle whatever you throw it up in front of.
Uniform 90 degree off-axis response
With its removable metal mesh windscreen in place, the SR20 becomes a world-class, handheld vocal mic, capable of capturing the subtlest of detail in your voice. And for singers who tend to dance in front of a stand-mounted mic, the SR20 has a uniform off-axis response that provides maximum vocal intelligibility up to 90 degrees off-axis. At the same time, it rejects off-axis noise and feedback from surrounding instruments and stage monitors thanks to 32dB of rear rejection.
Removable windscreen for instrument miking
And much like a simple pair of horn-rimmed classes conceals the identity of Superman, unscrewing the SR20’s windscreen reveals “the mic of steel” underneath, turning it into an instrument microphone that fights for truth and justice on acoustic guitar, brass, woodwinds, drums, guitar amp, and more.
Earthworks SR20 applications:
Along with vocals, the stellar off-axis performance of the SR20 makes it an excellent choice for presentation, press conferences, lectures, and meeting halls, etc. When every word counts, the SR20 delivers. Other applications include:
- Acoustic String Instruments
- Bass Amp
- Guitar Amp
- Live Vocals
- Studio Vocals
The Earthworks SR20 offers musicians, engineers, and live sound professionals a highly versatile mic with stellar sound quality. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks SR20 Instrument Microphone specifications:
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Sensitivity: 20mV/Pa (-34dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24-48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 139dB SPL
- Output: XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65 ohm, balanced (50 ohm ea. pin 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 600 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 16dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
- Dimensions (L x D): 8.4 x .860 inches (212 x 22 mm)
- 238mm x 22mm (with windscreen)
- Weight: .3 lb. (135g)