The Earthworks PM40 PianoMic is an inspired piano-miking system comprising two 40kHz random-incidence omnidirectional mics on a telescoping bar that produces stellar sound quality with open or closed lid
The grand piano is one of the most elusive and challenging acoustic instruments to record. In fact, a crystal-clear, expensive-sounding piano is considered a holy grail of recording. The difficulty in achieving such a sound is because the inside of a piano is quite large, with sound emanating in all directions, from each string and the soundboard. Since this makes problems for standard mics, which pickup sound from the front, Earthworks designed the PM40 piano microphone system to be placed in the middle of it all and achieve that sought-after piano sound without mic stands. The PianoMic system comprises two random-incidence omnidirectional High Definition Microphones™ mounted on a telescoping bar that fits inside the piano, lid open or closed, which enables you to track or mic an acoustic piano live with electric instruments. With a flat, phase-coherent frequency response of 9Hz-40kHz, the mics have an extraordinary impulse response and extremely short diaphragm settling time for precise transient capture. They also exhibit no proximity effect, and when positioned close to the sound source, provide incredible gain before feedback.
Earthworks PM40 PianoMic in one take:
- No mic stands or booms needed
- Pristine sound with the lid up or down
- Quick and simple set up
- Cannot be seen from outside of the piano (needs no stands or mic booms)
- Superb sound with the piano lid either up or down
- Virtually no leakage from sounds outside the piano
- Incredible gain before feedback
- Recording studios can now record piano with other instruments in the same room
- Handles sound pressure levels up to 148dB
- Quick, Simple and Easy Setup
- 40kHz Random Incidence Omnis
- Hear the full range of the piano including the high and low strings with no hot spots
- The telescoping bar allows the PianoMic to be quickly and easily installed in nearly all grand pianos and to place the microphones close to or away from the dampers and get the exact sound desired
The PM40 PianoMic is a sophisticated yet simple piano miking system that takes minutes to setup and provides incredible results for live performances and studio recordings. The versatile PianoMic is engineered to allow open or closed lid miking. With the lid open recording solo piano in a great-sounding live room in the studio, the PianoMic not only shines on piano, but also captures room ambience. In more crowded settings such live ensemble tracking in the studio or on a concert stage, simply close the piano lid to isolate the piano and minimize leakage. In both scenarios the PM40 captures the piano with incredible detail.
The PianoMic system comprises two random-incidence, omnidirectional microphones, specifically designed for use inside the diffuse sound field of a piano. Even though sounds are coming at the microphones from multiple sources and multiple directions, the PM40 picks up sounds uniformly, whether they arrive at the front, the sides or the rear of the mics. Due to the near-perfect polar response of the microphones and extraordinarily tight impulse response, the PianoMic picks up the full range of the piano with no hot spots.
In addition, the mics exhibit no proximity effect when positioned close to the sound source, provide incredible gain before feedback, and can handle up to 148dB SPL.
The telescoping bar allows the PianoMic to be quickly and easily installed in nearly all grand pianos. Set on flexible goosenecks, the microphone capsules can be easily repositioned for optimal placement. For connectivity, a separate output stage box features a 5-pin XLR input and two 3-pin XLR outputs. A leather case with a strap allows the box to be mounted onto a piano leg, so the microphone remains nearly invisible from outside the piano or with the lid closed.
If you’ve been searching for the holy grail of acoustic grand piano miking, Earthworks has had it all along. For more information on the Earthworks PM40 PianoMic system, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks PM40 PianoMic specifications:
- Frequency Response: 9Hz to 40kHz
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional (random incidence)
- Sensitivity: 15mV/Pa (-36dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24-48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 148dB SPL
- Output: XLR-3 (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 600 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 20dB SPL equivalent (A-weighted)
- Mic Gooseneck Length: 4-3/4″
- Dimensions: 64″ fully extended, 46″ fully collapsed
- Weight: Mic Assembly .75 lb. (350g)
- With External Electronics Box 1.5 lb. (700g)