Earthworks M50 – 50kHz Measurement Microphone
The M50 is a professional measurement microphone intended for large room calibration. The ultra wide frequency response of 3Hz to 50kHz is flat throughout the entire spectrum and results in accurate room calibration using Smaart, MLSSA, SIMM and TEF based systems. 3Hz – 50kHz flat frequency response. Omnidirectional polar pattern. Handles up to 140dB SPL without distortion.
Earthworks M50 omnidirectional measurement microphone with flat, ultra-wide 3Hz-50kHz frequency response, exceptional polar characteristics and super-fast impulse response
When David Blackmer founded Earthworks, his goal was to create the best-sounding speakers the world would ever hear. Drawing on his immense design acumen from his days as founder of dbx and creator of innovations such as over-easy compression (still ubiquitous in the studio), Blackmer realized that in order to measure the response of such speakers, his test equipment needed to far surpass the performance on any test microphones available at the time—and thus the M50 measurement microphone was born (which also laid the foundation for all subsequent Earthworks microphones). The M50 is a 3Hz-50kHz omnidirectional microphone that provides precision response for acoustical measurements, including high-end loudspeaker design and quality control, scientific research, measurements of ultrasonic or subsonic transducers, or any application where an extremely accurate free-field measurement microphone is essential.
Earthworks M50 Omni Measurement Mic in one take:
- 50kHz flat frequency response
- Ideally suited for acoustical measurements that require extended frequency response, including high-end loudspeaker design and quality control, scientific research, measurements of ultrasonic or subsonic transducers, or any application where an extremely accurate free-field measurement microphone is required
- Our top of the line measurement microphone with extraordinary impulse response for those who have stringent requirements and demand the very best
- Provides laboratory grade accuracy
- Omnidirectional polar pattern
- Flat frequency response, fast impulse response and exceptional polar characteristics
- Used by SMAART, MLSSA, Spectrafoo, TEF, and RTA, in addition to acoustic measurement systems manufactured by dbx, DEQX and others
- Meets or exceeds ANSI Type 1 and applicable IEC 61094 requirements
- Each M Series microphone is delivered with its own calibration chart providing its individually measured open-circuit sensitivity and the frequency response curve
- Electronic Calibration File available
- Operating Temp Range: -20-deg C to +60-deg C ( -4-deg. F to 140-deg. F)
- Storage Temp Range: -40-deg C to +80-deg C ( -40-deg F to 176-deg F)
- Humidity: Up to 90%
- Re-calibration recommended every five (5) years
3Hz-50kHz flat frequency response, fast impulse response
In order for test equipment to be effective, it has to be able to “hear past” the performance parameters of the new benchmark you wish to establish. In his quest for the ultimate precision measurement microphone, Earthwork’s founder, David Blackmer, realized that that in order to capture fast transients of all amplitudes, the mic’s diaphragm had to be highly compliant. Toward that end, the 1/4″ diaphragm of Earthworks mics was born. Able to overcome inertia more effectively than any other diaphragm, the M50 has an extraordinary impulse response.
The M50’s audio performance is unparalleled, with an ultra-wide 3Hz to 50kHz frequency response that’s linear throughout the entire spectrum. Its omnidirectional polar response is exceptionally consistent, exhibiting a coherent, even response across the direct and off-axis sections of the capsule. Additionally, the M50 has a 140dB SPL rating without no distortion and no handling noise. Taking into account the subtleties of acoustic behavior, particularly the change in sound characteristics based on atmospheric characteristics, the M50 features temperature-compensated electronics, to deliver repeatable results no matter what the environment.
Used with all the industry standard acoustic measurement systems
Lightning fast impulse response and linear phase response make the M50 ideal for use with high-quality FFT-based real-time audio system measurement software, such as SMAART, SIM, REW, Electroacoustics Toolbox, FuzzMeasure and others, as well as for use in PA system alignment and loudspeaker design.
Hand-tuned and tested
Every Earthworks M50 is individually hand-tuned, tested, and ships with its own printed frequency response chart. An Electronic Calibration File (ECF) is generated for each microphone during final testing, and can be downloaded free of charge after product registration.
The Earthworks M50 omnidirectional measurement microphone is designed for to exceed the most stringent requirements for those who demand the very best. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks M50 specifications:
- Frequency Response: 3Hz to 50kHz ±1/-3dB
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional
- Sensitivity: 34mV/Pa (-29dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24 – 48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 140dB SPL
- Output: XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 600 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 20dB SPL equivalent (A-weighted)
- Dimensions L x D: 9″ x 7/8″ (229 x 22 mm)
- Weight: 1/2 lb. (225g)
24 – 48V Phantom, 10mA
|Max Acoustic Input||
.5 lb. (225g)
20dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
229mm x 22mm (9 x .860 inches)