The Earthworks FW730 FlexWand is an integrated 30kHz cardioid condenser and slim-profile, 7′ stand with gooseneck boom for choral miking
The Earthworks FW730 FlexWand is the next best thing to magic—the only difference is that it works every time. FlexWand Series 4 integrated microphone systems offer an unobtrusive, slim-line microphone stand and boom combined with an incredible-sounding cardioid condenser mic that’s flat up to 30kHz. The apex of sound quality and visual aesthetics, its slim profile and wireless appearance in conjunction with 32dB rear rejection and wide coverage area, make the FW730 an excellent choice for theater, stage, or television. Designed primarily for choral and ensemble miking, its ability to handle 145dB SPL with no distortion enables it to be used for instrument miking as well. Its integrated stand and boom telescopes from 1-1/2′ to 7′ 2″, with unlimited positioning options in between. And of course, don’t forget the signature Earthworks “being there” sound quality.
Earthworks FW730 FlexWand in one take:
- Wide coverage area
- Near-perfect polar pattern with high rejection of sounds from the rear of the microphone
- No spotlighting
Like Earthworks’ precision test and instrument mics, the FW730’s near-perfect cardioid pick-up pattern exhibits a consistent response across all frequencies. This in turn makes placement simpler, ensuring more gain before feedback. With an impressive 32dB rear rejection, it’s a shoo-in for live performances, where bleed from other sound sources is in need of taming.
Wide coverage area
Another advantage of the FW730 FlexWand is its wide coverage area. Another double threat, this means less mics in front of an audience or camera and less phase issues in multi-mic schemes, giving you better coverage and sound quality. Additionally, there are no visible wires or cables above floor level. Instead, the microphone cable plugs into the base of the microphone, making it incredibly low profile and clean.
Flexible and stable
Standing 7′ 2″ tall (2.18 m) and measuring just 3/4″ (19mm) at its widest point, the FW730 FlexWand virtually disappears from sightlines in the audience or on camera. It incorporates a large flex section near the center of the stand that couples the stand and the wand, allowing you to adjust the microphone from its tallest height down to 1-1/2′ (30.5m) above floor level and anywhere in between. A mini-gooseneck between the end of the wand and the mic head lets you position the mic for optimal coverage. Not just concerned with sightlines, Earthworks engineers also took into account what may happen when talent enters and exits the stage. To eliminate concerns of the FW730 FlexWand falling over if bumped into, a sturdy cast iron base provides enough weight so that the microphone easily stabilizes itself.
FW730 FlexWand applications
With a low noise floor and flat frequency response out to 30kHz, the FW730 can be positioned as high as 7′ 2″ for capture of choral and instrument ensembles, including a full symphony orchestra. Designed with functionality in mind, its no-distortion 145dB SPL handling, means you easily mic a drum kit, as well as other high-SPL sound sources.
Other applications include:
- Ensembles and orchestra
- Acoustic Guitar
- Bass Amp
- Guitar Amp
- Live Vocals
The FlexWand microphones have cast iron or tripod base options. Available in cardioid or hypercardioid. Matched pairs available.
Earthworks FW730 FlexWand full feature list:
- Uniform frequency response on or off axis
- Frequency response up to 30kHz
- Near perfect polar response and the ability to reject sounds from the rear of the microphone, making it a perfect solution for choirs and vocal groups
- Substantial improvement in gain before feedback
- Handles high sound pressure levels with high rejection of sounds to the rear of the microphone
- Ideal where bands or orchestras are placed in front of a choir, as the FlexWand will reject much of the sound of the band or orchestra
- The near perfect polar response of the FlexWand allows the use of fewer microphones on choir, with better sound quality, no spotlighting and incredible rejection of sounds from the rear of the microphone
- The sturdy 12 pound cast iron base will not allow the FlexWand to be accidentally knocked over
When you can’t afford to sacrifice sound quality for appearance and vice versa, the Earthworks FW730 FlexWand is a best-of-both-worlds solution. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks FW730 FlexWand specifications:
- Frequency Response: 50Hz to 30kHz ±2dB at 6″ (15 cm)
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Sensitivity: 10mV/Pa (-40dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24 – 48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 145dB SPL
- Output: XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 600 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 20dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
- Positioning Range: From 1-1/2′. to 7′ above floor level
- Dimensions: Stand 7′ 2″ long (2.18 m), Base 12″ (30.5 cm) in diameter, (2.7 cm) high
- Color: Stand, flex & wand – black, base – dark gray
- Weight: Stand 2 lb. (.9 kg), Base 12.6 lbs. (5.7 kg)