The Earthworks FW430/HC FlexWand is an integrated 30kHz hypercardioid condenser and slim-profile stand with gooseneck boom, featuring 139dB SPL handling, 32dB rear rejection, and wide coverage
The Earthworks FW430/HC FlexWand is the next best thing to magic—the only difference is that it works every time. FlexWand Series 4 integrated microphone systems offer an unobtrusive, slim-line microphone stand and boom combined with an incredible-sounding hypercardioid condenser mic that’s flat up to 30kHz. The apex of sound quality and visual aesthetics, its slim profile and wireless appearance in conjunction with 32dB rear rejection, wide coverage area, and 139dB SPL handling, make the FW430/HC an excellent choice for theater, stage, or television. Designed for instrument miking, its integrated stand and boom telescopes from 10″ to 4′ 7″, with unlimited positioning options in between. And of course, don’t forget the signature Earthworks “being there” sound quality.
Earthworks FW430/HC FlexWand in one take:
- Near-perfect polar pattern with high rejection of sounds from the rear of the microphone
- Wide coverage area with 32dB rear rejection
- Handles up to 139dB SPL without distortion
- Flexible and stable
Like Earthworks’ precision test and instrument mics, the FW430/HC’s near-perfect hypercardioid pick-up pattern exhibits a consistent response across all frequencies. This in turn makes placement simpler, ensuring more gain before feedback. With an impressive 32dB rear rejection, it’s a shoo-in for live performances, where bleed from surrounding instruments is in desperate need of taming.
Wide coverage area
Another advantage of the FW430/HC FlexWand is its wide coverage area. Another double threat, this means less mics in front of an audience or camera and less phase issues in multi-mic schemes, giving you better coverage and sound quality. Additionally, there are no visible wires or cables above floor level. Instead, the microphone cable plugs into the base of the microphone, making it incredibly low profile and clean.
Flexible and stable
Standing 4′ 7″ tall (1.4 m) and measuring just 3/4″ (19mm) at its widest point, the FW430/HC FlexWand virtually disappears from sight-lines in the audience or on camera. It incorporates a large flex section near the center of the stand that couples the stand and the wand, allowing you to adjust the microphone from its tallest height down to 10″ (0.25m) above floor level and anywhere in between. A mini-gooseneck between the end of the wand and the mic head lets you position the mic for optimal coverage. Not just concerned with sight-lines, Earthworks engineers also took into account what may happen when talent enters and exits the stage. To eliminate concerns of the FW430/HC FlexWand falling over if bumped into, a sturdy cast iron base provides enough weight so that the microphone easily stabilizes itself.
FW430/HC FlexWand applications
With a low noise floor and flat frequency response, the FW430/HC can be used to great effect with a wide variety of instruments, in the studio and live onstage. Designed with functionality in mind, its head can be positioned as high as 4′ 7″ feet and as low as 10 inches, which in combination with its no-distortion 139dB SPL handling, means you easily mic a kick drum, snare bottom, ride cymbal, hi-hat, or place it in front of the kit as a mono room mic. And if you need camera-friendly drum overheads along with exceptional sound, you can add optional two- and three-foot extensions to the FW430/HC.
Other applications include:
- Acoustic Guitar
- Bass Amp
- Guitar Amp
- Live Vocals
The FlexWand microphones have cast iron or tripod base options. Available in cardioid or hypercardioid. Matched pairs available. For greater height adjustment, 2- and 3-foot extensions are also available (sold separately).
Earthworks FW430/HC FlexWand full feature list:
- Uniform frequency response on or off axis
- Frequency response up to 30kHz
- Large flex section near the center of the stand that couples the stand and the wand
- Mini-gooseneck between the end of the wand and the microphone head
- Substantial improvement in gain before feedback
- They will handle high sound pressure levels with high rejection of sounds to the rear of the microphone
- The near perfect polar response of the FlexWand allows the use of fewer microphones with better sound quality, no spotlighting and incredible rejection of sounds from the rear of the microphone
- The sturdy 12 pound cast iron base will not allow the FlexWand to be accidentally knocked over
When you can’t afford to sacrifice sound quality for appearance and vice versa, the Earthworks FW430/HC FlexWand is a best-of-both-worlds solution. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks FW430/HC FlexWand specifications:
- Frequency Response:100Hz to 30kHz
- Polar Pattern:Hypercardioid
- Sensitivity:20mV/Pa (-34dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements:24 – 48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input:139dB SPL
- Output:XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance:65 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load:600 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise:16dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
- Positioning Range:From 10 inches to 4′ 7″ feet above floor level
- Dimensions:Stand 4′ 7″ (1.39 m); Base 12″ (30.5 cm) in diameter, 1.1″ (2.7 cm) high
- Color:Stand, flex & wand – black, base – dark gray
- Weight:Stand 2 lb. (.9 kg), Base 12.6 lbs. (5.7kg)