The Earthworks DM20 DrumMic for toms and snare takes the worry out of being close-miked, with unobtrusive high-quality condenser mics with rim mounts that can be precisely angled while remaining clear of errant drumsticks.
When recording or reinforcing drums for live performance, the money may in the resonance, but it’s the attack that lets us define and localize sounds, which is why we’ve relied on compressors with slow attack times and more recently, transient designers to bring out attack on drums. Due their high-SPL handling, dynamic mics are most often used, since their heavier, slow-moving diaphragms (relatively speaking) add a natural compression. The downside is that a portion of the transients are lost during their gallant attempts to overcome inertia, as well during their slower reset time. Also, it’s difficult to get front-address dynamic mics close enough to capture attack while staying out of the way of drum sticks. Condenser mics, with their highly compliant diaphragms and wide frequency response offer a solution, but do you really want to put your prized vintage condensers in harm’s way? Problem solved with the Earthworks DM20 DrumMic. The DM20 is a best-of-all-worlds solution: a small, rim-mountable condenser mic with the fastest impulse response and reset time of any mic on the market, as well as the widest frequency response and an incredible 150dB SPL-handling.
Earthworks DM20 DrumMic in one take:
- Wide, flat frequency response from 50Hz-20kHz captures far more detail and dynamics
- Ultra-fast impulse response makes reproduces the full detail of the attack (note: impulse response has little to do with low-frequency sounds)
- Short diaphragm settling time prevents subtle details from being blurred by earlier loud attacks
- Near-perfect cardioid polar pattern reproduces all specified frequencies uniformly at any position within the pattern
- With 32dB of rear rejection, it is ideal for live performances or recording environments where there may be bleed from surrounding instruments
- High gain before feedback
- 150dB SPL capability ensures the mic will not overload from the loudest drum attacks
- A right-angle mic head is mounted to the gooseneck for easy positioning
- The microphone head housing is designed to protect the microphone capsule and withstand a direct hit from a drumstick
- Stiff mini-gooseneck that will not move when the drums are hit hard
- Heavy stainless steel construction is able to withstand the punishment of touring
- RM1 RimMount is included for mounting the DM20 on rim of snare or toms
Earthworks signature performance
Whether in the studio or onstage, the goal of every engineer is to create a larger-than-life sound (which is harder to do in the studio, hence parallel processing and other tricks). The DM20 makes achieving that goal much easier. Onstage the DM20 delivers sound so detailed and natural that the sound coming out of the PA sounds like the drummer is right in front of you. In the studio, it will reproduce your toms and snare with incredible detail, faithfully reproducing their true character, with a sense of being in the room for the listener.
The DM20’s near-perfect cardioid polar pattern is consistent across all frequencies, simplifying mic placement, virtually eliminating phasing issues and ensuring more gain before feedback. Its transient response is lightning fast, handling sharp attacks with ease, while still picking up all of the subtle nuances and softest dynamics of your playing. Even the loudest drummer cannot overload the DM20 DrumMic, which can handle up to 150dB SPL.
Designed to withstand the rigors of the road while still delivering the sound quality Earthworks is known for, the DM20 DrumMic™ provides the best of both worlds. Capable of withstanding a stray stick hit, the DM20 removes the worry of close miking snare and toms. Its right angle microphone head lets you easily and precisely position the microphone to get the best drum sound. Featuring a stiff yet flexible gooseneck, the microphone will stay put once you have found its sweet spot.
Included with the DM20 is an RM1 RimMount™ for mounting the microphone directly on the rim of a snare or toms, eliminating the need for mic stands. Plus, save time on setup and tear-down by storing the DM20 with the RM1 still attached in its carrying case.
If you’ve been looking for a drum close-miking solution with all of the advantages of condensers and dynamic mics with a realistic sound like none other, you’ve found it in the Earthworks DM20 DrumMic. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant.
Earthworks DM20 DrumMic specifications:
- Frequency Response: 20-Hz – 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Sensitivity: 8mV/Pa (-42dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24-48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 150dB SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 74dB A-weighted
- Output: XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 1000 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 20dB SPL equivalent (A-weighted)
- Dimensions L x D: 11-1/8″ x 7/8″ (282 x 22 mm)
- Gooseneck Length: 4-3/4″ (121mm)
- Weight: .55 lb. (.25 kg)