Earthworks CMK4 CloseMic Kit – (4) Microphone Close Miking Tom & Snare Kit
The CMK4 CloseMic™ Kit is designed for close miking tom and snare. The microphones are housed in a high impact case that will withstand the rigors of the road and store each microphone with the RM1 attached, thus saving time in setup and teardown.
The Earthworks CMK4 CloseMic Kit is a 4-microphone bundle of DM20 precision-engineered cardioid condenser microphones with rim mounts for close miking toms and snare
Generally engineers choose dynamic mics for toms and snare, not because they sound the best, rather, their heavy diaphragms can handle high SPL and introduce a natural compression that helps to manage levels. Of course, there are trade-offs that must be dealt with, such as a cumbersome size, which means placement compromises signal-to-noise in order to keep them out of the way of flailing drumsticks. They also are placed on an angle, which means most of the sound hitting the diaphragm are off-axis. That combined with the amount of inertia that must be overcome for the diaphragm to respond means that high-frequency transients are never fully captured, and have to be brought out in the mix with various types of processing.
At the end of the day, we rarely get to hear drums they way they actually sound—unless, of course, you use the Earthworks CMK4 CloseMicKit for spot-miking toms and snare. With a super-fast transient response, wide and flat frequency range, and a remarkable 150dB SPL handling, the DM20 condensers do what Earthworks condensers do best: capture incredibly accurate transients and a full, larger-than-life sound. Plus, the RM1 RimMounts ensure optimal placement, free from the sticks of even the most aggressive drummers.
Earthworks CMK4 CloseMic Kit in one take:
- Frequency response from 20Hz-20kHz captures more detail and dynamics of your playing
- Ultra-fast impulse response makes this microphone ideal for reproducing the full detail of the attack
- Substantially shorter diaphragm settling time prevents subtle details from being blurred or covered by earlier loud attacks
- Near-perfect cardioid polar pattern reproduces all specified frequencies uniformly at any position within the pattern
- With 32dB of rear rejection, it is ideal for live performances or recording environments where there may be bleed from surrounding instruments
- More gain before feedback
- 150dB SPL ensures the mic will not overload from the loudest of drum attacks
- The microphone head housing is designed to protect the microphone capsule and withstand a direct hit from a drumstick
- Flexible but rigid gooseneck that will not move when the drums are hit hard
- Heavy stainless steel construction is able to withstand the punishment of all touring environments
- RM1 RimMount is included for mounting the DM20 on rim of snare or toms
The DM20 captures a larger-than-life drum sound. Onstage the DM20 delivers sound so detailed and natural that the sound coming out of the PA sounds like the drummer is right in front of you. For recording, it will reproduce your toms and snare with incredible detail, faithfully reproducing their true character.
The DM20 also features Earthworks patented near-perfect cardioid polar pattern. Consistent across all frequencies with minimal off-axis high-frequency attenuation, the DM20 simplifies mic placement, virtually eliminating phase issues. Plus, its 32dB rear rejection ensures more gain before feedback. The DM20 transient response is lightning fast, handling sharp attacks with ease, while still picking up all of the subtle nuances and softest dynamics of your playing. With a staggering 150dB SPL handling without distortion, even the loudest drummer cannot overload the DM20 DrumMic.
Delivering the sound quality Earthworks is known for, the DM20 DrumMic is built to take the punishment of the road and drummers possessed of a severe case of ADHD. Capable of withstanding the errant stick hit, the DM20 takes the worry out of being close . . . close-miked that is. Its right angle microphone head lets you easily and precisely position the microphone to get the best drum sound. Featuring a stiff yet flexible gooseneck, the microphone will stay put once you have found its sweet spot.
A complete drum miking solution, the DM20 is paired with the RM1 RimMount for mounting the microphone directly on the rim of a snare or toms. The RM1 is not just drummer-friendly, but engineer-friendly as well, eliminating the need for mic stands. Plus, you can save time on setup and teardown by storing the DM20 with the RM1 still attached in its carrying case.
If you want to hear toms and snare up close and personal, as nature intended, mic your kit with the Earthworks CM4K CloseMic kit. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Earthworks CMK4 CloseMic Kit specifications:
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Sensitivity: 8mV/Pa (-42dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24-48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 150dB SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 74dB A-weighted
- Output: XLR (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 200 ohm balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 100 ohm between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 20dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
- Dimensions L x D: 11-1/8″ x 7/8″ (282 x 22 mm)
- Gooseneck Length: 4-3/4″ (121 mm)
- Weight: .55 lb. (.25kg)
- (4) DM20 DrumMic
- (4) RM1 RimMount
- (4) windscreens
- high impact case