The Avalon U5 Mono Instrument & DI Preamplifier is a powerful pure Class A, 100% discrete direct box with six EQ filters that excels on bass and acoustic guitar
Since its intoduction in 1995, the Avalon U5 quickly became the go-to active DI for bass among studio professionals and top-shelf musicians. Not just limited to bass, the high-voltage U5 has six passive tone-EQ filters that can optimize its performance on acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, and of course, the aforementioned electric bass with both passive, and high-output active pickups. Heard on thousands of the best-selling and best-sounding records, the Avalon U5 will give your recordings the rich, controlled bass that hit records are made of.
Avalon U5 Instrument DI-Preamp in one take:
- Smooth musical detail and sonic excellence
- Variable gain preamp to +30dB.
- Pure Class A, 100% discrete design
- Dual microphone and line outputs
- Hi-Z 3 megohm input impedance
- Very low noise -100dB
- High headroom +30dB
- Six tone bank passive EQ filters
- DC coupled Class A output for superior bass High cut switch (low pass filter) eliminates hiss LED active signal indicator
- Headphone monitor output jack
- Low distortion less than 0.5% THD and IMD High level 400 watt speaker input
- Active-to-thru selector—ground isolation switch
- 100% discrete power supplies for audio path
- Internal low noise toroidal power supply
- Long lasting, stainless steel hardware
INSIDE THE BOX—Avalon U5
The Avalon U5 is a pure Class A instrument DI and preamplifier is perhaps the most powerful DI available today. It’s designed uncompromising signal integrity and musical performance. The U5 is ideal for bass guitar and acoustic instruments, electric guitars, keyboards, synthesizers and low-output pickups.
The U5 has a state-of-the-art, high-impedance input stage for zero load effect on sensitive pickups and keyboards, 100% discrete, Pure Class A signal amplifiers, and rugged hardware for longevity in both the studio and onstage.
“Straight wire with gain” signal path design
Components in the signal path are of the highest quality kept to an absolute minimum in terms of what’s necessary for the best sound via the shortest signal path. The U5 includes a variable-gain Class A preamp to boost low-level signals from passive, low-output pickups, plus a high-level speaker input for capturing the live sound of the instrument’s amplifier. It features a 6-position, passive-filter tone selector with optimized EQ curves for acoustic and string instruments, active and passive electric bass and electric guitar, plus keyboards. A high-cut switch eliminates unwanted acoustic pickup resonances as well as high-frequency noise. For private use, the U5 also has a headphone monitor amp.
The U5 has twin DC-coupled Class A output amplifiers that drive both low-level microphone preamp inputs and high-level +4dB inputs for direct to tape recording or processing. The active-to-thru switch selects either the instrument input directly, or sends the boosted-equalized signal to the amplifier via the front-panel jack. A ground isolation switch eliminates any possible earth loop or AC buzz problems with complete safety.
OUTSIDE THE BOX—Avalon U5
The U5 front panel, has a rotary boost control up to 30dB, 6-position rotary tone selector, 1/4″ Hi-Z input and 1/4″ thru output, plus back-lit push buttons for high-cut filter, speaker to input, active to thru, and tone on/off. It also has signal and power indicators.
The rear panel of the U5 has two XLR outputs mic level (150 ohm) and line level (600 ohm), 1/4″ headphone jack, 1/4″ speaker input jack, IEC connector, and ground-lift switch.
The Avalon U5 offers the sound that professionals depend on, as evidenced by its use on thousands of best-selling and best-sounding hit records and live performances. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant, or order yours online today.
Avalon U5 Instrument DI-Preamp specifications:
- Circuit topology: 100% discrete, high-voltage Class A
- Gain: Switched 3dB steps, maximum gain +30dB
- Input impedance: 3 Meg-ohm unbalanced (single ended)
- Maximum input level: 24dBu unbalanced, 400w speaker input
- Output connectors (2): XLR type, pin 2 hot electronic balanced
- Maximum output level (Class A): +30dBu DC coupled, balanced 600 ohms (mic and line out)
- Headphone output: 0.5w into 600 ohms
- Noise 20kHz un-weighted: +-100dBu minimum gain position
- Distortion THD, IMD: 0.1% at +10dB
- Frequency response, -/+0.5dB: 5Hz to 100kHz
- Frequency response, -3dB: 1Hz to 500kHz (input band limited)
- High cut filter: -3dB at 8kHz minimum-phase design
- Tone selector: 6-position rotary switch, all passive filters
- AC power: Internal toroidal AC supply; 115-230v selectable 50/60Hz, 40w max
Dimensions (W x H x D): 8-1/2″ x 3-1/2″ x 12″ (216 x 88 x 305mm)
Weight-packed: 12 lb. (5.4kg)
Rack mount kit (1): Single U5 19 inch rack mount kit (holds one half rack unit)
- RM-1 Rack mount kit (2) RM-2: Dual U5 19 inch rack mount kit (holds two half rack units)