Avalon AD2022 Dual-Mono Pure Class-A Preamp
Pure Class A, dual-mono preamplifer
Avalon AD2022 Dual Mono Pure Class A Preamplifier with selectable input impedance, stepped 64dB gain, and the most advanced mic transformer in the industry
The TEC Award-winning AD2022 is a fully discrete, highly transparent, solid-state microphone preamp/DI. It features selectable input impedance for matching mics and cables, improved Class A, high-voltage regulated power supplies, conveniently mounted front-panel Hi-Z instrument inputs, variable high-pass filter, highly conductive silver wiring, and double-plated circuit boards for superior low-level signal transmission. Along with its ability to match impedance to microphones for optimal sonic performance and sound-shaping, it has a stepped gain control from 20dB to 64dB in 4dB increments. It’s clean high-gain and ultra quiet performance enable it to accommodate all types of microphones, from low-sensitivity dynamics to ribbon mics. Of course, the greatest feature of the Avalon AD2022 is its transparency and deep, dimensional soundstage, which like all Avalon gear, is heard on many of the best-sounding records in popular music.
Avalon AD2022 in one take:
- Two channel, Symmetrical Pure Class-A design
- Microphone and Hi-Z instrument inputs
- Gain switched 4dB steps plus +/-3dB fine output trim
- Selectable microphone input impedance matching
- Low noise -126dB EIN
- Ultra high-quality, low-ratio, balanced input transformer
- Balanced, high-current Class-A output to +36dB
- Large illuminated analog VU meters and twin peak LEDs
- Regulated phantom power supply +48V
- Input polarity phase reverse
- High headroom +36dB input before overload
- Input -20dB pad for high level signals
- Sealed silver relays for all signal routing
- External AC 150w toroidal power chassis
- Fully discrete Class A regulated audio power supplies
- Deep, musical sound-stage, transparent amplification
INSIDE THE BOX—Avalon AD2022
Microphone input transformer
Perhaps the most important component in a musically satisfying preamp is its transformer. The AD2022 has the most advanced high-performance transformer available. Split low-ratio primary windings are carefully combined within a custom mu-metal core for extended smooth frequency response and very low distortion. Sealer silver relays are used for minimal signal interference. The input signal selector, high pass filter, polarity-phase reverse, +48v power, and 20dB input attenuator all use locally sealed relays. Its passive variable high-pass filter is a minimum phase-shift design that eliminates low frequency rumble, wind noise, and mechanical vibration at sub-sonic frequencies.
Symmetrical Pure Class-A design
Each channel of the AD2022 has two 100% discrete, high-voltage, symmetrical Pure Class A signal amplifiers. The first operates in a cascaded-cascode FET configuration, while the second stage amplifier is fully bipolar. The twin amplifiers share the total available gain. This shared architecture increases high-level headroom capability, improves transient response, and doubles the internal bandwidth of the ultra-high performance pure Class A signal amplifiers.
Output and metering
The output drive interface uses high-current, DC-coupled, Class A discrete amplifiers with +36dB capability into all known loads. Two large, high-quality analog VU meters indicate accurate signal readings, while bi-color LED’s offer peak indication at 0dB and +20dB.
OUTSIDE THE BOX—Avalon AD2022
Front panel: Each channel of the AD2022 includes a stepped, rotary input gain control; stepped output attenuator; illuminated -20dB pad, +48V phantom power, high-pass filter, and polarity reverse buttons; input impedance selector (50, 150, 600, 1.5k ohms); and ¼” instrument input.
Rear panel: I/O includes balanced XLR input and outputs for each channel, and unbalanced XLR line out. There is also a four-pin connector for the external power supply.
Who’s using the Avalon AD2022
Users of the Avalon AD2022 include Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Abby Road, Babyface, Alanis Morrisette, Stevie Wonder, Don Henley, Hit Factory, Blue man Group, Chung King Studios, Mariah Carey, and Keb’Mo.
“I have recently been recording Alanis M. with the AD2022. I don’t need to use EQ or compression on the way in. Just the AKG C12 through the AD2022 and straight to tape. I’ve been completely blown away! It is perfectly balanced and crystal clear with ultra fast transients in the low end. Amazing detail! Alanis immediately noticed a difference in her headphones when we first plugged the AD2022 in. Thank you very much. It’s the best mic pre I have ever heard.”
– Rob Jacobs, engineer/mixer
When you’re ready for the powerful sound and big controlled bass of the Avalon AD2022, we have one waiting for you. Call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Avalon AD2022 Preamplifier specifications:
- Circuit Topology: Twin cascode FET and bipolar low level signal amplifiers,
- high-voltage, 100% discrete, symmetrical Pure Class A
- Input Type and Load: Transformer balanced low-ratio, 50, 150, 600 and 1k5 ohm input load selection
- Maximum Mic Level: +36dB balanced XLR pin 2 hot (with -20dB passive attenuator)
- Maximum Instrument Level: +18dB at 100k ohms instrument input level, standard mono 1/4 inch jack
- Input Attenuator: -20dB resistive pre transformer primary, sealed silver relay
- Phantom Power: +48v regulated 50mA capability, sealed silver relay
- High Pass Filter: Passive, variable from 30Hz to 185Hz @ 6dB per octave, sealed silver relay
- Polarity Reverse: Sealed silver relay on microphone input
- Gain Range Input: +20dB to +64dB in 4dB steps
- Gain Output Range: +/- 3dB variable conductive plastic potentiometer
- Maximum Output Level: +36dB balanced 600 ohms, DC coupled, discrete symmetrical Pure Class A
- Output Type: XLR connector, pin 2 hot
- Noise EIN Unweighted: -126dB 150ohm
- Noise 20kHz Unweighted: -102dB
- Distortion THD, IMD: 0.05% nominal
- Frequency Response -3dB: 1Hz to 120kHz transformer limit
- System Bandwidth: DC to 1MHz
- Output Meter: High quality, illuminated analog VU meter 0dB = +4dB
- Peak Meter: Bi-color LED’s 0dB and +20dB peak detection circuit.
- AC power supply B2T: External toroidal 100V to 240V, 50-60Hz selectable,
- 150 watts maximum
- Cables: 90V AC, 4-pin male power input connector, B2T required, internal DC regulation
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 19″ x 12″ x 3-1/2″ in (482 x 305 x 89mm)
- Weight: 15 lb. (6.8kg)
- Dimensions – Shipping Carton (W x D x H): 24″ x 21-1/2″ x 7-1/2″ (610 x 546 x 190mm)
- Weight – Packed: 25 lb. (11.4kg)
|Dimensions||19 x 12 x 4 in|
3.5 x 12 x 19
4 x XLR
2 x XLR (Mic), 2 x 1/4" (Hi-Z)