The Audio-Technica AT5047 features a four-element diaphragm with the widest surface area of any condenser mic, plus the smooth sound and high SPL-handling of its transformer-coupled design
The Audio-Technica AT5047 may be called large-diaphragm condenser, but it’s similarity to other LDC’s ends there. A unique advancement in diaphragm design and construction, the AT5047 has four rectangular diaphragms that act as one. The diaphragms are tensioned across several virtual lines to prevent the single frequency resonance associated with circular diaphragms. The diaphragm also has an unprecedented surface area, twice that of traditional 1″ circular diaphragms, without any compromise in transient response. The AT5047’s innovative diaphragm captures harmonic content perceived but not directly heard. Unlike its sister mic, the high-output AT5040, the AT5047 is a transformer-coupled design that provides a smoother response, richer midrange, and high SPL-handling up to 142dB. The result is an exceptionally wide dynamic range that captures the full, expressive character of instruments and voices, from soft swish of brushes to high-powered vocals.
Audio-Technica AT5047 Condenser Microphone in one take:
- Four rectangular diaphragms (2 micron) function together to provide a combined surface area twice that of a standard one-inch circular diaphragm
- Carefully selected discrete components and optimized for maximum performance and compatibility with standalone microphone preamps and console inputs
- Transformer-coupled output provides smooth sonic character
- Hand assembled and inspected for 100% quality control
- Advanced internal shock mounting decouples the capsule from the microphone body
- Elegant, durable housing of aluminum and brass
- Included advanced-design custom AT8480 shock mount provides superior isolation
- Custom hard-shell carrying case with die-cut foam compartments offers protection during storage and transport
Four rectangular diaphragms
To overcome certain physical problems associated with a very large diaphragm, such as transient response, Audio Technica got very creative. For example, to overcome the inertia associated with large diaphragms, AT combined four smaller, precisely matched, ultra-thin rectangular diaphragms. The individual diaphragms preserve the transient response, while their combined surface area provides the largest element that Audio-Technica has ever produced (twice that of a standard 1″ circular diaphragm). By using four diaphragms in a single capsule, the AT-5047 delivers an extremely low noise floor without increased weight, or other drawbacks that typically restrict diaphragm size.
Carefully selected discrete components
To complement the response of the AT5047’s unique diaphragm, A-T engineers selected discrete components for optimized performance. In fact, every aspect of the microphone has been carefully considered to minimize any effects on the audio signal.
The AT5040, the predecessor to the AT5047 is a very low-sensitivity, high-output, transformerless design, for transparent audio capture. As such, it requires high-headroom preamps that can handle its output without distorting. To give the AT5047 compatibility with a wide variety of preamps, it’s equipped with a transformer-coupled output. The AT5047 maintains a constant load output impedance, even when capturing sources at extreme SPL, resulting in a stable relationship between the mic and a mic preamp or console input. The transformer design also provides a smooth, vintage sound and the ability to handle high SPLs of up to an amazing 142dB SPL.
Each AT5047 microphone is hand-assembled and individually inspected for 100% quality control. The microphone is enclosed in an elegant housing of aluminum and brass with a high-quality silver finish.
Advanced internal shock mounting
To eliminate noise occurring from sympathetic stand vibrations from low frequency rumble or tapping feet, the AT5047 incorporates the AT5040’s advanced internal shock mounting design. This effectively decouples the capsule from the microphone body. It also comes with the innovative AT8480 shock mount, first introduced with the AT5040.
Boasting an exceptionally wide dynamic range, the AT5047 captures the full, expressive character of voice and instruments, regardless of how loud or how soft. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
Audio-Technica AT5047 Condenser Microphone specifications:
- Element: Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Open-circuit sensitivity: -29 dB
- Impedance: 150 ohms
- Maximum input sound level: 148dB SPL
- Self-noise: 6dB SPL
- Dynamic range: 142dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 88dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom power requirements: 48V DC, 2.7 mA typical
- Dimensions: 6-1/2” (165.3mm) long; 2-1/4” (57.0mm) maximum body diameter
- Output connector: Integral 3-pin XLRM-type
- Accessories included: AT8480 shock mount, stand adapter (3/8″-5/8″), and carry case