The API 3124MV is a four-channel, all-discrete mic amp featuring the same 312 preamp circuits used in all API consoles, plus an additional 4-channel mixer with transformer balanced output
For anyone who’s ever lusted after an API console but didn’t have a piggy bank that could hold 15 million pennies, considerably less gets you a 3124MV; four channels of API console preamps featuring the API 2520 Op-Amp, responsible for API’s signature sound. Designed for the highest possible performance, even with the lowest sensitivity mics the 3124MV provides clean, noise-free gain up to 65dB to an output clip level of +28dBu. Since the front-panel Hi-Z input is routed directly to the 2520 op-amp, a guitar or bass with low-output passive pickups can be amplified without a matching transformer or direct box. With the ability to accept input levels up to +20dBu, the Hi-Z input can also handle high-output instruments such as keyboards, or guitar and bass with active pickups. While the API 3124+ shines on any sound source, it’s a particular favorite of engineers for tracking snare and toms with lots of punch.
API 3124MV Mic Preamp In one take:
- Uses the API 2520 op-amp, responsible for the API signature sound
- Stereo output mixer with pan control
- Classic console circuit
- Four XLR Mic Inputs
- Four 1/4″ un-balanced inputs
- Front-panel polarity switch
- Front-panel 20dB pad switch
- Front-panel mic/line switch
- Front-panel 48V power switch
- Output clips at +30dBm
INSIDE THE BOX—API 3124MV
The 3124MV is designed to provide the professional engineer with the highest possible quality. A 4-channel mic preamp, the 3124MV, adds a stereo mixer with a transformer balanced output. It has the same microphone preamp circuit found in all API consoles, the RE-115 K mic-input transformer and the same output transformer used in API equalizers. The 3124MV has an internal 48-volt phantom power supply for each channel, switchable from the front panel. It also has a front-panel -2 dB pad switch that attenuates both mic and line inputs. On the rear panel, each channel has a 1/4″ TRS jack that functions as an insert (tip-send/ring-return) between the mic pre amp output and the mixer input.
The 3124MV allows up to 65dB gain for use with low-sensitivity mics, such as ribbon mics, to an output level of +28dBu. The Hi-Z front-panel input goes directly to the op-amp, which enables low-output instruments, such as vintage guitars or basses with passive pickups to be amplified without a matching transformer or direct box. Extremely versatile, the Hi-Z input can also accept high-output signals up to +20dBu, making it perfect for keyboards and other high-output instruments.
The 3124MV makes multi-mic tracking convenient with the addition of stereo pan with a level control and post-fader aux send. The stereo pan and aux sends are bussed to master output controls and then to the rear-panel outputs. A stereo aux return is provided to return effects or cascade additional mixers for more inputs. The unique stereo aux return control acts to balance the left/right signal, while maintaining the stereo field. It can also be used as a mono return.
OUTSIDE THE BOX—API 3124MV
Each preamplifier provides a comprehensive suite of front-panel controls:
- GAIN: Preamp gain
- POL: Preamp input polarity inverter
- 48V: Phantom Power
- PAD: ‐20 dB microphone pad/‐6 dB instrument pad
- MIC: Mic‐Instrument input selector
- HI‐Z IN: 1⁄4” high‐impedance instrument input
- LEVEL: Stereo mixer send level
- PAN: Stereo mixer send pan
- AUX: Auxiliary bus send level
- VU METER: 7 LED VU meter
- 4x XLR inputs
- 4x XLR outputs
- 4x 1/4″ TRS inserts
- 2x 1/4″ out
- 1x 1/4″ send
- 1x 1/4″ return
- Universal IEC connector
The 3124MV is equally at home in the control room, studio, recording truck, or on stage. For more information, call or chat online with your Westlake Pro Sales Consultant today.
API 3124MV specifications:
- Input Impedance: Mic: 1,500 ohm Unbalanced: 470k ohm Hi‐Z
- Output Impedance: Less than 75-ohm channel outputs
- Nominal Levels: LR Channel Output +4dBu
- Stereo Output Level: Balanced: +4 Unbalanced: Nominal ‐2
- Clipping Level: XLR Channel Output better than +28dBm
- Frequency Response: +0, ‐5, 10Hz to 20kHz (‐0.5 at 10Hz)
- Noise EIN: Mic: ‐129; Unbalanced Actual: ‐125
- Measured Noise: Better than ‐91dBm/Below Nominal +4
- Distortion: All Outputs at +4 Out, 0.03% All Outputs at +22 Out, 0.09%
- Gain Range: 150 ohm Input: 10dB Min, 65dB Max (Incl. PAD) Unbalanced Input: 14dB Min, 50dB Max
- VU Meter: Calibrated for XLR Outputs, OVU = +4dBu (‐12, ‐6, ‐3, 0, +3, +6, +18)
- Controls: GAIN, PAD (20dB), 48V (Volts), POL (Polarity), MIC (Mic/Unbalanced), VU, AC
- Power Consumption, Quiescent: 2 watts
Size: 19″ × 1-3/4″ × 10-1/2″
- Size (Boxed for Shipping): 23-1/4″ × 6-1/2″ × 16″
Actual Weight: 54 lb.
Shipping Weight: 15.3 lb.