AMS Neve 2254/R Mono Limiter/Compressor
The New Original
Designed in 1969, the original Neve 2254 mono Limiter/Compressor unit quickly became a legend. Forty years on, the 2254’s successor, the Neve 2254/R mono limiter/compressor represents another milestone.
The original 2254 units are still sought after, decades after production stopped, and they remain one of the milestone pieces of studio equipment.
Discrete, Class A design and transformer-coupled circuits – used in the input, innovative bridge-driver design, sidechain and output stages ensured a totally unique sound.
Not only does it retain the original 2254’s unique sonic characteristics – using the same architecture, matching components and original hand-wound transformers – but enhances it with the features that modern-day producers and engineers have asked for. Whereas the original, developed before outboard designs had been standardized, was roughly cubic in shape, the new 2254/R comes in 1U 19” rack-mount form. And the new model allows settings to be saved and recalled using Neve Total RecallTM software via USB.
There’s also manual adjustment of Fast Attack Time, continuously variable between 100µS and 2mS. Plus enhancement of the signal presence LED, which changes from green to red to warn of imminent clipping.
- Classic mono limiter/compressor made to the exacting late-1960s design
- Hand-made in Burnley, England using original Neve specification transformers
- Original Neve 2254 discrete, Class A circuit design
- Transformer-coupled circuits used in Input, Bridge-driver, Sidechain and Output stages
- Manual Fast Attack Time adjustment and transparent level control
- Independent Limiter In/Out and Compressor In/Out selection
- Total bypass switch
- Multiple units can be linked together to provide multi-unit side-chain control from a single unit
- Compatible with Neve Total RecallTM software, simply connect the 2254/R using USB to a host PC or Mac running Neve Recall software
1.75 x ? x 19
Threshold, Recovery, Ratio, Makeup (Compressor) / Level, Attack, Recovery (Limiter)