iZotope VocalSynth 2 – Biovox
Along with their new Creative Suite, iZotope recently released the second iteration of their vocal effects plug-in VocalSynth 2, and with it a brand new interface, effects, and a groundbreaking new module called Biovox.
Biovox uses the scientific modeling of a human vocal tract to allow you to manipulate your voice with intelligent and innovative processing.
The Biovox module consists of four main parameters for manipulating your voice: Clarity, Shift, Nasal, and Breath.
- Clarity allows you to edit the level of intelligibility of your vocals (with 0 being more ambient and 100 being clear and upfront).
- Shift is used to change the pitch of your vocals from low to high or as I call it — demon to chipmunk.
- Nasal lets you increase the amount of resonance in your vocals.
- Lastly, Breath allows you to add air/noise to your vocals. I was instantly reminded of Kavinsky’s Nightcall when I started messing around with the Breath feature. Great, now I have to go cover that song for the 4th time…
If you can’t dial in the exact sound that’s in your head with those main parameters don’t worry — VocalSynth 2 gives you plenty of additional parameters to fine-tune under the hood in the Advanced Section!
Advanced View at a Glance
The Vowel section on the left side of Advanced View allows you to blend and accentuate vowel sounds to help aid in the intelligibility of your vocals. No more misheard lyrics! This is one of the more interesting tools within Biovox. It gives you the capability not only to accentuate but to do the opposite — generate unique or subhuman vowel sounds and transform a boring enunciation into something creative.
The Synth section gives you additional presets, or you can sculpt the sound yourself with control over the sound engine’s oscillators, LFO, filter, and pan parameters.
Biovox in Action
Now that you have an understanding of how the new module works, let’s hear some examples! I will start with the raw audio file and tweak it from there using the new Biovox module.
Please Note: All effects heard are from VocalSynth 2 except reverb
- Raw Audio File:
- Biovox Solo: (Clarity: 100, Shift -100, Nasal: 0, Breath: 50, Filter: LP, Gate: -40, Effects: Chorus)
- In The Mix:
- Biovox + Vocoder + Talkbox + Polyvox: (Gate: -40, Filter: LP, Effects: Chorus)
Nate VanBuskirk is the songwriting and production force behind Decade Defector — 80’s-style synthwave/synthpop artist on TimeSlave Records.
Listen to Decade Defector on Spotify, Bandcamp, and more…
Example Song: Flesh and Bone (Decade Defector Remix)